News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg phone that doesn't ring.....please help

Started by wideawakefl, January 09, 2016, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideawakefl

I recently got a Kellogg phone (was told it's a banjo style) from 1954 and I have tested it, it dials out and receives calls, however, it does not ring. The network number is 425B. I have attached pictures of how it is wired. Hopefully, someone here can determine if its a wiring issue. The other issue is that the volume knob does not move. I have another ringer that I know works, from a spare phone that I have. I have included a picture of that as well. If the old ringer is broke, can I remove the ringer currently in the phone and replace it with the newer ringer? How would that wire into this older phone?

Thank you to anyone that can help me with this issue.

Ktownphoneco

There's 2 problems that are obvious right away.    One, is it looks like the set has a frequency ringer, which isn't going to perform very well even if you fix the second issue.       The second issue is that it appears the ringer in the set is wired for ground ringing.      Most, if not all telephones today, that operate on a standard telephone company telephone line, employ what's called bridge ringing.     The spare ringer you included pictures of, and if it's in proper working order, will correct the frequency ringer issue, and should be attached to the 425 network as follows   ...

Ringer Wire Color                        Network Terminal
      Red      ....................................      L2
      Black     ...................................      L1
      Slate / Red     ..........................      A
      Slate      ..................................      K

Jeff Lamb

wideawakefl

Thanks for responding so quickly. Does any of the wiring on the 425 have to change, or do I just remove the old ringer and attach the spare ringer the way you indicated?

Thanks,

paul-f

Quote from: wideawakefl on January 09, 2016, 11:36:45 AM
Thanks for responding so quickly. Does any of the wiring on the 425 have to change, or do I just remove the old ringer and attach the spare ringer the way you indicated?

Correct.  Simply remove the current ringer and wire the new one as Jeff indicated.

Welcome to the forum!  If you'd care to share your name and some basic info on your interest in telephony and collection, we'd appreciate it.  Also, photos of favorite phones are always welcome.

Introductions are usually posted here:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=49.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

wideawakefl

Thank you to Jeff and Paul for your help.

It is great to be part of this forum. I will provide the info you asked for shortly.

Have a great day!!!