News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: NE-500 from Turkey - how t...
Last post by Gerd - March 24, 2024, 09:29:47 AM
The Bezel has 3 Wings. By holding the main dial unit and turning the Bezel counter-clockwise it can be easily separated.
How was the bezel held on? This is a bit different than a WE dial. How did you get it off?

Last post by Gerd - March 24, 2024, 08:19:41 AM
*UPDATE*
I wanted to give a short update. I managed to take the bezel off. I could turn the main unit clockwise, holding the bezel.As you see, the main unit is nearly "dry". I will clean it with Q-tips and isopropanol and then give it a little lubrication.
General Discussion / Re: AT&T slimline 210
Last post by tubaman - March 24, 2024, 04:30:34 AM
Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on March 23, 2024, 12:19:16 AMI still use a "land-line".  I don't see how you can collect classic phones and not be able to test and use them.

Mike

Where I live we wouldn't want to be reliant on the mobile signal as it of very patchy. We do have wi-fi calling on some of our mobiles but of course that's no good if the power goes out. At the moment we still have a real landline but under current plans that'll be gone in the next year or so and it'll be VOIP or nothing.
All Other Pay Telephones / Re: Converting an Intellicall ...
Last post by MaximRecoil - March 23, 2024, 10:52:09 PM
I don't have quite enough room to install a C4 type ringer in the upper housing, so for now I set out to find the two header pins on the keypad that go to the built-in Murata brand "ringer." I couldn't use a meter to find them because I can't access the other side of the keypad's PCB without breaking the melted-over plastic posts that hold it in place, so I used trial and error.

I was hoping they would be two pins that were side by side, otherwise it could have taken forever to find them. As luck would have it, they were side by side, and polarity doesn't seem to matter; it makes the same "ringing" sound either way.
Technical "Stuff" / Re: Question about hookswitch ...
Last post by MaximRecoil - March 23, 2024, 07:31:32 PM
I figured it out. First I diconnected all the stock hookswitch wires, then I connected one wire from the microswitch to the L1 network terminal and the other wire to the L1 keypad terminal. That allows the microswitch to open and close the L1 circuit.

In stock form, the L2 circuit is on a switch too, but I don't believe that's necessary (plus I don't have a second switch; I could do it with a DPST microswitch though, if I could find one that's the same form factor as the existing one), so I just ran a jumper wire from the L2 keypad terminal to the L2 network terminal.

It works, albeit, backwards right now (i.e., going on hook gives you dial tone / going off hook hangs up). Fortunately, the microswitch can be wired either as normally-open or normally-closed, so that's an easy fix.
Technical "Stuff" / Question about hookswitch wiri...
Last post by MaximRecoil - March 23, 2024, 01:59:27 PM
I want to use a 2500 type keypad and an ITT 427 type network in an application that has a hookswitch with just one normally-open SPST microswitch (when off-hook the switch is open; on-hook the switch is closed) as opposed to the pack of leaf switches that a normal 500 or 2500 has.

Can all 7 of the original hookswitch wires be removed from the network and just 2 wires from the microswitch be connected to the network to make it go on and off hook? I know there wouldn't be any shunting of the receiver that way, but I just need it to be able to pick up and hang up the line.

The current stock (and working) hookswitch wiring is like this:

Slate/yellow - L2
Slate        - L2
Slate/green  - L1
Slate/brown  - L2 terminal on the keypad
Slate/red    - R
Slate/white  - L1 terminal on the keypad
Slate/black  - GN

And I don't know if it matters, but the rest of the wiring is like this:

Handset cord
------------
Red     - E2
Black   - B
Green   - R
White   - GN

Line cord
------------
Red     - L2
Green   - L1

Ringer
------------
Red     - K
Black   - L1

Keypad (35A11 type I believe)
-----------------
Orange/black - C
Slate/white  - RR
White        - GN
Red/green    - R
Red          - E2

Plus the two wires from the hookswitch that I mentioned above.
My Telephone Collection / Re: Jorge's Picasa Photo Album...
Last post by JorgeAmely - March 23, 2024, 01:00:01 PM
Thank you for the kind comments and I hope you enjoy the pictures. After many years of not looking at them I had a chance this morning to review a few of them.

I have truly enjoyed this hobby because I have learned a lot about how these devices work. I used the knowledge acquired for my job as an engineer. There are a lot of very resourceful people in this forum and I have learned from them as well. I have visited a few and am impressed with their collections too.

The best thing about this hobby is the network of friends you make along the way. :)

PS: The yellow cat is still going strong at 19 years of age.
Off Topic / Re: james garner
Last post by Gerd - March 23, 2024, 12:28:39 PM
For me Jimbo is still an idol. I own all Series and still watching them due to terrible TV-Shows in German Television. They had such a great Cast and there is nothing like The Rockford Files. I also like Columbo and The Streets of San Francisco - Karl Malden was also a great actor.
RIP Jimbo
Last post by Gerd - March 23, 2024, 12:09:57 PM
TelePlay - you made my Day! I got the Fingerwheel off... and I am all in a sweat!  :D
I was afraid to break it but t was as you said. It was tightened. Next steps to come up... This ยด59er in Germany is happy..