News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess - Dead except for the light

Started by SunriseEarth, November 03, 2018, 02:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunriseEarth

I picked up two Princess phones (Beige 702B and Ivory 2702BMG).   Unfortunately, the Beige one is completely dead except for the light, which I was able to get working.   It won't ring, it won't call out, and I can't hear a thing.   As best as I can tell, nothing looks miswired, but I could get a picture up.    Thoughts?   Is the network dead on this one?
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

poplar1

To make a 702B ring, either move the black ringer wire from G to L1 on the network, -- or -- connect the green and yellow spade-tipped wires of the line cord together at the wall (assuming it has the original D5AK cord and it is good.)

More than likely that the network is good if it is the sealed type. Exception: 4228 networks sometimes fail, but for some reason the bad 4228s are usually found in Design Line phones (Mickey Mouse, etc.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

SunriseEarth

Quote from: poplar1 on November 03, 2018, 02:37:41 AM
To make a 702B ring, either move the black ringer wire from G to L1 on the network, -- or -- connect the green and yellow spade-tipped wires of the line cord together at the wall (assuming it has the original D5AK cord and it is good.)

More than likely that the network is good if it is the sealed type. Exception: 4228 networks sometimes fail, but for some reason the bad 4228s are usually found in Design Line phones (Mickey Mouse, etc.)

I connected a jack to the end of the original cord, and I have green and yellow both on green.   Absolutely nothing, like the phone isn't even hooked up.   I think the cord itself is fine, because the black and white work for the light. 
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

So this gave me an idea.   I had a spare 623P jack, so I moved the black ringer wire to L1 and then hooked that up.  Sure enough, it worked!   So somehow the black and white cords must be fine, but the red, green, and yellow ones are not.   Looks like I'll just need to get a replacement cord. 
Tony Stokes

poplar1

Could be that just the red conductor is bad. If so, you could leave the black ringer wire on L1 and substitute the yellow for red on L2 and at wall.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

SunriseEarth

I tried switching some of the wires on the original cord, but i think both the green and the yellow (and maybe even red) all went bad.   The black and white worked fine for the light.   

Anyway, I found a NOS almond cord with 4 spades to modular (it also had a loop restraint, which I thought was handy).  I wired that in, leaving the ringer wire on L1, and using the yellow spade where white was before.   It all works perfectly now!   Thanks, for helping me think it out!
Tony Stokes