News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

584DF with 101A: How was this used? Can it be wired as a 584A?

Started by ALpine3, December 09, 2018, 12:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALpine3

Good Afternoon CRPF members,
I have been reading and learning from this website for many months, and have had a great deal of fun working with 1930s phones as a result!   I've gotten a 584DF ringer that has a 101A coil, and was hoping to use it as a sidetone subset.  It has a 1MF condenser.  The current wiring has the red ringer wire on L1, and the black going to a block labeled B.  The condenser connects at B and has the second wire running to L2.   How would I set this up to function as a 584A? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
ALpine3

Ktownphoneco

Hi   ....     Just follow the color coding used on say a Western 20-AL desk stand for example.     The mounting cord factory color codes are red / yellow / green.       Connect the red lead to "R" on the 101-A induction coil, the green to "GN", and the yellow to "L2/Y".       Leave the ringer and the condenser connections as they are.   From your description of the connections it sounds like  the condenser and ringer are wired correctly in the talk circuit as well.

Jeff Lamb

ALpine3

Thanks Jeff!  I looked at a number of the wiring diagrams and believed that was the case, but it's better to check if unsure.  I'll give it a try and see if it works.  Thanks again!
ALpine3

CanadianGuy

I removed one of these from someone's house (with their permission) and it might also be a DF. I'll try to check when I get home later :)

poplar1

584 DF was originally just an extension ringer -- no induction coil.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2974.msg40373#msg40373

Someone modified your 584 DF by adding a 101A induction coil and to do so, had to "modify" the wood terminal strip.

The 101A is an anti-sidetone induction coil such as used in a 302 telephone set, 684A subset, 684BA subset. Normally it uses a second condenser (capacitor) of 2 microfarads for the talk circuit.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

CanadianGuy

Oops. Turns out mine is a 584DX. Not sure if that helps.

ALpine3

ALpine3