News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE's version of "Rubik's Cube", aligning the spit cup on an E1 handset.

Started by Greg G., August 29, 2011, 05:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Is there a trick to getting the spit cup aligned properly so that all the transmitter parts are fully tightened?  I spent/wasted a good 45 minutes or so first trying to keep track of how much to loosen the bottom ring and spit cup and which order they need to be tightened, then gave up and used the "by guess and by golly" method which finally succeeded.  But now I'm afraid to ever take if off again.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

I tighten the cup first .next I thread on the collar or whatever it is screw it all the way down. Now I thread the whole transmitter assy all the way down and back off until the cup is aligned properly. Now take the collar and thread it tward the handset untill tight.
Robby

deedubya3800

That's about what I do, too. It seemed impossibly complicated the first three-or-so times I did it, and then I realized that if I just get the cup right, tightening down the collar while holding the cup will make it perfect!

Sargeguy

Is that the one I sent you?  Sorry, I didn't want it to crack in transit.  Let's see, I tighten the cup onto the housing, screw the bakelite collar on and tighten it all the way.  Then I back the cup up so it is at a 90 degree angle.  Screw the cup on while unscrewing the collar and they should meet with cup aligned correctly.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on August 31, 2011, 12:34:30 AM
Is that the one I sent you?  Sorry, I didn't want it to crack in transit.  Let's see, I tighten the cup onto the housing, screw the bakelite collar on and tighten it all the way.  Then I back the cup up so it is at a 90 degree angle.  Screw the cup on while unscrewing the collar and they should meet with cup aligned correctly.

Yes, but I have others and always wondered if there was a trick to it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Just4Phones

Quote from: Brinybay on August 29, 2011, 05:14:23 PM
Is there a trick to getting the spit cup aligned properly so that all the transmitter parts are fully tightened?  I spent/wasted a good 45 minutes or so first trying to keep track of how much to loosen the bottom ring and spit cup and which order they need to be tightened, then gave up and used the "by guess and by golly" method which finally succeeded.  But now I'm afraid to ever take if off again.

I am a Libra and a perfectionist.  I can't tell you how much time I have spent/wasted getting the number card aligned perfectly when in the "resting" position.  I take it off move it a hair take it off move it a hair ten sometimes twenty times until its perfectly straight.  How did the phone company do it the first time?  Is there a trick?   Grrrrrrr