News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manual Tool to Install Amphenol 25 pair Plugs onto Cable

Started by AE_Collector, January 14, 2013, 01:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

We carried these in our tool boxes to quickly install Amphenol plugs to the ends of cable for key sets.

The block holds the metal type "Amphenol" plugs (male or female) and shows the position to punch down the proper colored wire in the 25 pair telephone cable.

The bit fits into the yellow & black Dracon Impact Tool (replacing the 66 bit shown in the tool) turning it into a tool to punch the wires into the plug. Note I have less of these than the other two parts so I won't sell the bit only without at least the block.

The Dracon Impact Tool comes with a 66 bit which is used to terminate wire on any 66 block.

If you already have the Dracon Impact Tool you don't need another one. Just get the parts you need to install Amphenol Plugs. This Set up works ONLY with the Metal Punch Down type Amphenol Brand Plugs, both Male and Female. Amphenol Plugs are for solid 24 gauge (I've done 22 gauge as well) conductors.

I have these for sale here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19523.msg203394#msg203394

Terry

DavePEI

Hi Terry:

I will buy a block and the bit for the collection - as you know I do have the punch down tool.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

cello973

Wow! I remember using one of those in the service... what a pain in the A**!!! thank god for 66E3 blocks ;)
Vince

poplar1

I first learned the color code of 25-pair cables after finding a 66E block in the dumpster of the independent phone company in Thomaston, Georgia. This was apparently used with an AE 187 or similar 3-line, 3-hold button set. The 3-pair station wire had been punched down on the pins corresponding to the Tip and Ring of the 3 lines.

We had to use 66E blocks (has an Amphenol connector for the phone and punch down block for the cable) because there were only two "butterfly" tools for 18 techs. Whenever they would mop the floors, water would get into the original connectors.

At the mental hospital, there were about 25 sets bridged on the same lines. To troubleshoot a grounded line, you could remove tip and ring of the affected line from each set until the noise went away, then trace out the yellow-slate pair of that cable to see what intercom number was assigned to it, then ask someone who had COML 24 for example. Or you could look for the lady with a mop.

I always preferred using ringers in the sets (Y-SL pair) instead of buzzers (Yellow-Orange and later Yellow-Green)  for the intercom. For the few locations that also had common audible ringing (for C.O. lines), they had E-1 ringers mounted on the wall. Apparently, the older 564s didn't even have buzzers as furnished from the factory.

This hospital had 1A1 and 1A2 key and mostly rotary 564s. The nurses' station and the secretary had Call Directors. Originally there was a 701B PBX with two 608 consoles. By the time I started working for the state of GA in 1988, the PBX was gone and the lines were Centrex, but they did not change the phones or key systems.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Quote from: cello973 on January 15, 2013, 10:52:01 AM
Wow! I remember using one of those in the service... what a pain in the A**!!! thank god for 66E3 blocks ;)

Once I got good at putting Amphenols on with these tools I could do it pretty quickly. On occasion I challenged guys who were using the large butterfly amp tools to a race with me using one of these manual Amp tools. I could go just as fast as they could in many instances.

Terry