News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hooray Hooray, My Long Long Trailer Arrives Today!

Started by HobieSport, March 12, 2009, 01:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Well, after all my bragging about my new home and telephone workshop, a 35 foot 1954 Roadmaster trailer, it's embarrassing to admit that it still isn't here yet.  We were much delayed getting it up here from the SF Bay Area because of the rains and a moving truck breakdown.

HOWEVER the big baby is finally on her way up to our place as I write.  I'm going to live and work in the trailer and rent out our main house to help with the mortgage.  I've posted these pictures before but here they are again.  I don't have any pics of the exterior yet, but it's a classic original aqua color, very 1954.

Now I'm having fun on Ebay shopping for vintage 1950s small appliances, like a Toastmaster toaster and a chrome and glass 1950s Osterizer.  Also getting new but vintage style Revere Ware pots and pans, diner style salt and pepper shakers, tableware, etc.. It's all going to have a real 1940s/50s diner look, with lots of chrome and glass and cool lighting with that great honey colored original birch paneling and cabinets.  I'll be living in 1950s heaven.

Anyway, wish me luck and I'll post more pictures when she arrives.

Funny, the original Long Long Trailer from the movie was a 32 foot '53 New Moon Trailer.  And mine is a 35 foot '54 Roadmaster, making it a Long Long LONG trailer, I suppose.  Hmmm.  I'd better download the movie and post some screen shots also.  I've actually never seen the movie yet.  Amazing, for a movie nut like me...

Now all I need to complete my 1950s "sophisticated trailer trash" image is a garden gnome holding a telephone.

Ellen

I have been looking at these with longing since I first read about your Roadmaster (?).  I want one!  There are 16 or more reasons why I can't have one right now, but I have enjoyed looking at what is available in the water-damaged, rotten electricals, mouse droppings and missing-essentials trailer market. 

HobieSport

Yep, sadly, most of the old Birchwood Beauties leaked and are tons of work and expense to fix.  The Roadmasters in particular however are famous for a one piece wrap around roofing system that never leaks, thus the great condition of the interior. 

I've had Airstreams before but I don't really like them because they feel so small inside.  One great thing about this trailer is the square shape, and huge windows, so I can use any kind of regular furniture that I want, but I'll probably build my own dinette, etc. out of 3/4 inch birch plywood and light pine trim. :)

So, sixteen reasons why you can't get a trailer?  That's sixteen things that you'll just have to surmount! ;D  My sister (also named Ellen) is already envious.  She lives in a huge 300 year old farmhouse in north central Maryland.

Dennis Markham

Hobie, that's a great photo!  (The trailer and movie house).

bingster

I've always been fascinated by these trailers, too.  I think I've seen pictures of your trailer before, Hobie.  If I'm not mistaken, it's been up for sale on ebay in the past.  It's a really well-preserved example, and I'm officially jealous. 

What I'd like to find is one of the enormous Spartans with the ultra modern late-1950s curved interior layouts and huge floor to ceiling picture windows.  They're the living end, as the kids used to say.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Spartans are awesome "silver palaces"!

http://www.spartantrailer.com/sales.html

Is this the Spartan that you mean, Bingster?

http://www.spartantrailer.com/trailer%20ads/Ads2008/sale152.html

Ellen

Quote from: HobieSport on March 12, 2009, 01:21:34 PM
Also getting new but vintage style Revere Ware pots and pans,

No, No!  DON'T  :o get new Revere ware, it is junk.  Buy old stuff on eBay, with two screws through the tang in the handles and parallelogram flanges with four spot-welds each.  This is very important.  Old Revereware you will love forever; new will give out in maybe 10 years.  Or less.

HobieSport

That's funny, Ellen.  Just a few hours ago I decided to get old American made Revere Ware off Ebay instead of the new Korean and Chinese junk.  It's also about half to a third of the price as new. So, what do I look for?  Two handles in the screws and parallelogram flanges with four spot welds?  It's usually hard to see that on Ebay pictures.  Do you happen to know what year they stopped making the good stuff?

Thanks!  -Matt

Meanwhile, back at The Long Long Trailer, here are some screen shots:

Perry

I would have to agree on the new Revere Ware. It's not at all what it used to be, but is thin and cheap, and made in Indonesia rather than the US. In phone terms, it's sort of like a 2001 Cortelco vs. a 1950s WE 500. There is a superficial resemblance, but it is cheaper built and lighter overall.

Ellen

search FleaBane for "vintage revere ware" and then go for

Not this

http://tinyurl.com/cxhgcp ( dead link 05-18-21 )

but this:

http://tinyurl.com/b4p9na ( dead link 05-18-21 )

the picture shows the right markings for the bottom, unless it has all been worn away, which is not a bad thing.  I have been happy with all the old ones I have bought, although lids (too many or too few) can be a problem.  But there is a market for lids alone! 

I have bought replacements for my 1983 wedding gifts and also 6-pot sets for each of my kids.  That should see them through life.  My Mom's, bought ca. 1950? are still in fine shape.  The one good thing about new ones is that they have the size marked on the bottom, in quarts.  Whoop-de-doo.

HobieSport

Thanks Ellen and Perry.  Wow, from those Ebay pictures you can really see, almost feel the difference.  Come to think of it, my Mom also used Revere Ware.  I had forgotten.

Here is a whole set, NIB from 1981.  I wonder if that is too new?

http://tinyurl.com/cfr2k6 ( dead link 05-18-21 )

My trailer is due in about 2 hours.  Can you tell that I'm exited?  I'll rest easy once it's on site. Pictures to come! :)

Ellen

Too new.  These have no screws.  Sorry, you have to buy them one by one. 

McHeath

Oh I wouldn't say those are too new, I have that same set from 1988 and after 21 years of daily use they are as good as new still.  No rust, no copper wearing off, no cracks on the handles.  And they have not been babied, they have been on the front line since I pulled them out of the box.  Once in a while I shine up the bottoms and holy smokes they are pretty! 

Love love love that trailer. 

HobieSport

She's Here!!!

I little rusty around the edges, and she did have a little leak (now fixed) that damaged a couple of ceiling panels.  The seller provided me with new prefinished paneling.  The parquet floor got damaged also, but it wasn't put in right anyway and needed to be redone. I'll likely put in some carpet anyway.  But basically she is quite sound and just needs some TLC.

Meanwhile, here are some exterior shots.  Man, she IS a long long trailer!
My girlfriend thinks she's ugly, of course.  But I'm in love.  Those big windows are great.

I forgot to say that the trailer is how I got interested in the vintage phones in the first place.  I wanted a couple of aqua WE500s to go with the trailer.  One thing leads to another... ;)

Steve

WOOT!

good going :)

we will sleep well tonight ,knowing,you will be caresing that wood as a new lover caresses his concubine..teak oil rub downs, wax on.. wax off.......

O.K.

don't get caught in any compromising positions k? plus, we need pics EARLY tomorrow . and NO. not of you waxing!

I've been looking for a canned ham for a year now, and have seen that trailer listed. you did real good.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.