"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Expensive WE 500 of questionable quality sold on eBay

Started by SUnset2, September 12, 2020, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on September 14, 2020, 05:58:31 AM
Here are a couple close up pictures of my 1958 clear dial face plate for an example, this one has the white painted letters.

So, how did they "color" the top of the letters on clear or painted dials? I can think of a few ways but to get the clear numbers shown on that clear dial interests me. Seems white and black are the options.

Maybe the phone was worth $350 and the buyer knew a lot more about it than most of us at first glance.

Quote from: TelePlay on September 14, 2020, 04:00:23 PM

Maybe the phone was worth $350 and the buyer knew a lot more about it than most of us at first glance.

I totally agree with you John.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: TelePlay on September 14, 2020, 04:00:23 PM
So, how did they "color" the top of the letters on clear or painted dials? seems white and black are the options.

I think the color is back-painted as well, tho it may be some type of injection fill vs paint.
I have only seem them in black, white and clear. on the clear ones you could try painting the numbers/letters before painting the ring. I think the clear rings have full size operator font.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Quote from: Jim Stettler on September 14, 2020, 05:34:10 PM
I think the color is back-painted as well, tho it may be some type of injection fill vs paint.

. . . on the clear ones you could try painting the numbers/letters before painting the ring.

If back painted or filled,  how would one keep the front of the letters from being covered up by the custom bezel paint? The whitish letters on Brown are quite crisp.

I'd like one in my hand to see how or what was done.

If legit, the painted bezel alone would be worth more than $100.

Key2871

I think it was a clear face, letters numbers etc were back filled white, then sprayed the final color.
Its too nice a finish to be "nicotine" from years of smoking. Ive cleaned many a phone and that stuff gets gooie and cruddy to remove. Its quite dificult to cut the crud of that tar like stuff of a set and keep the finish nice.
KEN

MMikeJBenN27

TelePlay

Quote from: Key2871 on September 14, 2020, 09:48:55 PM
I think it was a clear face, letters numbers etc were back filled white, then sprayed the final color.

Okay, got it.

It's still clear plastic from the front. Both the letters and then the bezel color are on the back.

One thing that comes to mind is the clear plastic will yellow over time which may change the brown a bit. Brown with a bit more yellow wouldn't change much.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: TelePlay on September 14, 2020, 09:19:06 PM

If legit, the painted bezel alone would be worth more than $100.

I have an orange back painted dial from 1979 white letters.

I think the rings  were made with the colored letters. they got back painted in the shops for custom orders.
the full clear rings may of just been made for the clear sets.
I don't think the letters would of been painted by the shops. It seems too labor intensive
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.