News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beware of Bogus Ebay Listings

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 24, 2020, 06:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I have noticed a number of listings with impossible prices from various sellers with zero feedback in the Czech Republic recently.  Here is one: www.ebay.com/itm/203113622987. ( dead link 03-22-21 )
I haven't researched this item, but chances are that it is a copy of a previous auction.  Something like this happened a number of months ago on Etsy with radios.  I sent several complaints to Etsy, and they kept removing the bogus listings.

Larry

Something stinks, doesn't look like a Vintage Kellogg Series 1000 Mid Century Brown Bakelight Rotary Dial Phone to me.

Good catch Larry!

Their Description:

Tired of cell phones? Born in the wrong generation? Do you frequently have day dreams of patiently waiting for the operator to direct your phone call? Say no more. Here we have a VINTAGE bakelight rotary dial phone made by Kellogg in Chicago, IL from the forties. Weighs in at 8lbs so you can use it as a short range melee weapon. Could also double as a device to make phone calls(It actually is a functioning phone). Or maybe you just want to put it on your desk to look edgy and progressive. Definitely is a conversation starter. 10/10 would get you a date with that hipster barista you've been gawking at. Will accept reasonable offers y'all.

FABphones

Grey Socotel S63. French line cord.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

I have seen at least two other phones with impossible prices showing different zero feedback sellers in the Czech Republic.  I expect that you will find the phones in older Ebay listings if you look.  I doubt that reporting the issue to ebay would do any good.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here is another: www.ebay.com/itm/143751951967 ( dead link 03-22-21 )

Larry

countryman

Funny how a Czech seller does not specify a price in Czech Crowns, and ships to the USA exclusively.

I think if there is concrete evidence of fraud, eBay will be interested. Would there be any chance of refund if a possible buyer used Paypal?

Babybearjs

this is crazy! anyway, I hope you all are "street smart" when it comes to these things... I myself am 1 step away from leaving ebay completely because of the lack of bargains I'm not finding... I think the only thing that keeps me on it is for the computer parts and printer supplies. I can reload my HP laserjet 200 for about $36.00 for all 4 toner cartridges, and the computer parts are good too... 1 TB hard drives for about $35.00, new... so its a tossup.... anyway, I hope ebay pulls these bad listings because people are phishing for stuff online, and its showing up on ebay too.... also, Ebay is based out of San Jose, California.... so, go figure.... as bad as california has gotten....
John

countryman

The black Modell 28 type phone has disappeared from eBay, the ivory french touch tone phone is still online right now...

Generally, eBay isn't doing a bad job. Most items find their real market value at eBay, as popular as it is. So bargains usually only happen when an item is misnamed or odd enough to find less than 2 bidders.
I like eBay, it's the first place I look when I need something or want to know the value of something. When I buy from professional sellers on eBay I usually deal with small or mid sized "local" shops, just not local to where I live. Ebay makes it's money as a "middleman" supplying the platform, but does not lead customers and sellers by the nose as much as the other marketplace does.

edit to add: The other one is now also deleted.

MMikeJBenN27

I told this guy 3 times that this is not a Kellogg phone, that it is not a rotary phone, and that it is not vintage, but he refuses to amend it.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on September 26, 2020, 09:53:35 PM
I told this guy 3 times that this is not a Kellogg phone, that it is not a rotary phone, and that it is not vintage, but he refuses to amend it.

I seriously doubt that it is even a phone.  It is almost certainly a bogus listing copied from an earlier auction that was posted to trick someone into paying them.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on September 26, 2020, 09:53:35 PM

Why even bother - life is too short. There will always be scammers and there will always be idiots.

If someone really looked at the listing and then purchased what they believed to be a vintage rotary Kellogg telephone, they would probably be happy with it - and deserve it.

Morally, one should list as accurately as one knows how but, really, a buyer should engage his brain before his credit card.

Probably about to be shot down.
Jack

MMikeJBenN27

They give us E-Bayers a bad name, that's why I call them out, and report them if necessary.

Key2871

Honistly I dont buy outside the us anyway, and if im not sure what im looking at is the real deal, I dont buy it.
Plus feed back rating tells you a lot, so check it as well.
I've seen a BK product tester being sold for $1500 from poland shipping included, then the price went down to a even grand, then it went away.
So, given its even out of the country, and way out of a reasonable price range, I don't even consider it anyway.
KEN

poplar1

Quote from: countryman on September 26, 2020, 02:28:22 AM

Generally, eBay isn't doing a bad job. Most items find their real market value at eBay, as popular as it is. So bargains usually only happen when an item is misnamed or odd enough to find less than 2 bidders.
I like eBay, it's the first place I look when I need something or want to know the value of something.....

Some Buy-it-now items are definitely bargains -- not the average price of completed items.

$34 USD
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.