News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBays questions now ask for you to match the supplied Number

Started by Doug Rose, November 15, 2010, 08:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Wow....that's a mouthful. This has been the norm for awhile on CL, match two words before listing your item. Now eBay wants you to match six numbers in a box, before you can ask a seller a question. My question is, what does this accomplish? Besides being annoying as Hell, what purpose does this serve?....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I think that this method is typically used to prevent automated systems from spamming people.  It wouldn't be difficult to write a script to automatically send spam to every ebay seller with a listing, so this may be a way to thwart that.

Larry

Bill

It is called a Captcha - you can look it up - and its purpose is indeed to thwart robo-responses. In my experiences running a forum, it is not perfect, but it is a BIG step in the right direction.

Bill

AE_Collector

I think ebaY has been requiring this for awhile now when asking a question of a seller. Now that you know how annoying it is...you have to do this to get to a sellers info through the advanced search as well which is why it takes me Sooo Looong to get each new ebaY handles list out. I have to go through that for each of the over 700 handles on the handles list.

Terry

Doug Rose

thanks folks...makes a little more sense to me now....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

It is a neccessary evil, if you have ever posted on Craigslist which does not use that sytem you will see why ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

cchaven

Yes, it really is needed due to the automated systems that fish for info out there.  It's a pain, especially on some where it's very difficult to read the letters to type in, but I think it's a good idea.

Jeff