News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another eBay gripe

Started by Tribune, December 08, 2010, 12:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribune

Yes, I understand a seller's reluctance in the face of the customs and tax barriers between the US and Canada - so much for the the "free trade" part in NAFTA eh?

Normally when I've had stuff sent up from the US, USPS is the best. When I get it, Canada Post take cares of any outstanding customs duties and charges me (very seldom). With UPS though I always get dinged for some customs or handling fee. I'm sure they're in league with US-Canada customs to make a profit.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

AE_Collector

Yes it is too bad that some buyers don't do their homework and then take it out on the seller. I think it is likely a good idea to include a statement in your auctions that "you have no control over what happens when a package is shipped across borders. Taxes, duties and brokerage fees might be added at that time".

As a general rule of thumb when shipping from the USA to Canada, the USPS is the best way to go. Nothing but horror stories with UPS cutomatically adding brokerage fees whe nthey move packages across the border and the fees seem to start at about $35.

I get blocked from bidding automatically by some sellers since I am in Canada even though I pay with PayPal and have all items from the USA shipped to either my US PO Box or US Address. It is sure frustrating to see an item sell at the opening price with a singel bid when I would have bid it up considerably higher. It doesn't matter which one of us would have won the item in the end, the seller would have been the ultimate winner.

Terry

NorthernMan

My 2 cents on UPS and USPS dutys etc. and correct me if i am wrong ......... everything that cross's the border goes thru customs.  UPS decides %100 of the time to charge a fee for that service whether the items are dutiable or not.
Sometimes you get hit with the $5.00 fee for them handling it and sometimes you get hit with a $5.00 fee plus import tax plus the Vat tax of %5 plus provincial tax of (in my case %7). They are doing their job properly.

For some reason USPS and their partner Canada Post are lax in picking up these fees , why i don't know. I only use CanadaPost/USPS. I love beating the tax man using USPS.

What i really hated was when Cabela's sent me my order and charged  duty's on items made in the USA . Under NAFTA this is illegal. No amount of complaints helped ..... they kept the extra fees for themselves. I no longer shop at Cabela's.

AE_Collector

Unless things have changed recently, the UPS brokerage fee is $3x.xx and as you say they may or may not add duty and/or taxes on the item as well.

Canada Post's fee for collecting the duty and/or taxes is $5 and if they can't be bothered to collect the duty and/or taxes, they don't collect the $5 fee either.

Terry

mariepr

Quote from: ae_collector on December 31, 2010, 04:41:23 PM
...I am in Canada even though I pay with PayPal and have all items from the USA shipped to either my US PO Box or US Address. ..

If you have an US shipping address, tell the seller that and ask to have your ebay handle placed on his/her "Buyer Requirements Exemption List".  This allows an individual buyer to bid regardless of whatever other exclusions are set.  I have a couple of people on mine because they are experienced collectors who know Canadian import requirements. 

(Link at http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderPermitLogin&guest=1)

NorthernMan

You are right  AE collector. The UPS fee is higher than $5 and i vaguely remember being charged once $30 making the entire charge with dutys and tax's in the $70 range for a $100 item. Yikes .
The funny thing is the delivery guy left it at the door because no one was at home. I never paid the extortion fees and i still have that phone.
Never ever use UPS.

gpo706

2 of those F field sets, will be a hefty weight, especially if they are in the wooden carry boxes!

BTW muggins here got his black and red 500's and his 554 and 1C2 all the way from across the Atlantic.

When I went to collect the 1C2, I was stiffed again at the delivery office for custom fees as well...

As for GPO 700's - two-tone greys are a dime a dozen, green's usually attract more intensive bidding.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

HarrySmith

Once again I will put out the offer to any of our "foreign" collectors, if there is a phone on ebay you want but you cannot bid or the seller has some outrageous shipping price, I would be happy to buy it for you and then ship it. I will also open & repack it to make sure it will arrive undamaged.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tribune

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 01, 2011, 10:25:53 AM
Once again I will put out the offer to any of our "foreign" collectors, if there is a phone on ebay you want but you cannot bid or the seller has some outrageous shipping price, I would be happy to buy it for you and then ship it. I will also open & repack it to make sure it will arrive undamaged.

Many many thanks to Harry for his "forwarding service". He's secured me the nice Northern Electric #1 Uniphone that initiated my gripe in the first place. Should have it with me in the next week or so.

Thanks Harry
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

NorthernMan

Thanks in advance Harry ... i am sure someday i will be callin ON YOU.