"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Listing bid items on Ebay

Started by FrankC, February 04, 2011, 01:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankC

Maybe someone can help me with this.

On Ebay, when I want to search for Western Electric telephones, I type "Western Electric Telephones" into the "Collectables" category. That search takes me to a place where there are, give or take, 23 pages of mostly Western Electric stuff.
Now, When I go to list a phone for sale, I list it in: (Collectibles) Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone, Telephones, Pre-1940"    But...
it never shows up in those same 23 or so pages that the search for Western Electric Telephones took me. So, if I want the phones that I am selling, to go into the same place that the search for Western Electric telephones takes me when I want to buy, how do I do that? When I go to list a phone for sale, there is not a Western Electric Telephone category..... Help!  :-\
Frank Conley

Wallphone

When you list a phone in category 38037 (Pre-1940) it goes in that group along with the other 1100 items listed in that category. It is only when you do a search that it pulls out the items that meets your search terms. Actually it will list all items that meets your search terms no matter what category it is in. But it only lists the items that has those words in the Title. It does not search for those words in the Description of the items. If you put Western Electric in the Title of the item you are selling then it should show up in your search. If you didn't, it won't. That is why the Title is so important. You want to put in all the "Key" words that you can. Did you have Western Electric in the Title of the item you are selling?

FrankC

I usually just put "WE 202-D1" or something like that in the Title, I don't spell Western Electric out. Maybe this is why my phones are not going to the areas that will give them the most and best exposure to the people who are seeking out Western Electric products. I will try that today. The trouble is I can't get immediate feedback after I list a phone since ebay tells you that it may not come up in the proper catagory for up to 24 hours. But then I have to wonder why I am getting viewers even though I can't find my listing where it should be...where are the viewers finding it? hmm. dunno. Thank you for your help. I will keep experimenting. Frank Conley
Frank Conley

Dennis Markham

Frank, if you don't mind, please post a link to your auction so we can take a look.

FrankC

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 04, 2011, 12:50:09 PMFrank, if you don't mind, please post a link to your auction so we can take a look.
Sure Dennis, here is one where I didn't write out "Western Electric" I just did "WE". 
http://tinyurl.com/4j7j8no   
It ends soon, so I will not be concerned with it.

I have gone back and either ended or edited 2 other auctions so that they have the full written WE name. Frank 
Frank Conley

Wallphone

Frank, I saw your other auction that ends in two days. I found it by doing a search for WE 202. If Western Electric is not in the title it will not show up when doing a search for Western Electric. It will only show up by doing a search for something that is in the title. The other way people find your phone is by looking in the 38037 category. >  http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/Pre-1940-/38037/i.html <

FrankC

Quote from: Wallphone on February 04, 2011, 03:28:11 PM
Frank, I saw your other auction that ends in two days. I found it by doing a search for WE 202. If Western Electric is not in the title it will not show up when doing a search for Western Electric. It will only show up by doing a search for something that is in the title. The other way people find your phone is by looking in the 38037 category. >  http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/Pre-1940-/38037/i.html <

Doug, This above thing, "collectibles.shop.ebay.com/Pre-1940-/38037/i.html"  how do I find that url when in ebay? or do I just keep it handy so I can paste it in the ebay search when needed.  Thanks for your help with this. 
Frank Conley

Wallphone

Frank, Go to the top of one of your auctions and there you will find ----
Listed in category:

* Collectibles >
    * Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone >
    * Telephones >
    * Pre-1940

If you click on "Telephones" that has three categories in it.
Pre-1940
1940-1969
1970-Now

Click on those and set them up how you want them and then bookmark them.
When I say set them up I mean do you want to see newly listed or ready to end soon.
Do you want to see every phone in the world or just the ones in the U.S.

Dennis Markham

Thanks Frank for posting the link to your phones.  They look very nice.

Doug Rose

Quote from: knarfc on February 04, 2011, 03:17:42 PM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 04, 2011, 12:50:09 PM
Frank, if you don't mind, please post a link to your auction so we can take a look.
Sure Dennis, here is one where I didn't write out "Western Electric" I just did "WE".  

http://tinyurl.com/4j7j8no    It ends soon, so I will not be concerned with it.

I have gone back and either ended or edited 2 other auctions so that they have the full written WE name. Frank  
Frank...beautiful job on the phone, but I am seeing the metal ring that holds the cloth bottom cover on the base plate. This should not show, it should snap into the base plate, holding the cloth and snug up into the 202 shell so the 202 shell and the base cover come together completely.....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

Doug,
I think that is a reflection of the cloth it is sitting on.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on February 04, 2011, 08:50:48 PM
Doug,
I think that is a reflection of the cloth it is sitting on.
Kenny...you must be right, I had to go and get a 202 fom my collection and do a stare and compare. Nevermind.....great phone....Doug
Kidphone

FrankC

Quote from: Wallphone on February 04, 2011, 06:18:16 PM
Frank, Go to the top of one of your auctions and there you will find ----
Listed in category:

* Collectibles >
    * Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone >
    * Telephones >
    * Pre-1940

If you click on "Telephones" that has three categories in it.
Pre-1940
1940-1969
1970-Now

Click on those and set them up how you want them and then bookmark them.
When I say set them up I mean do you want to see newly listed or ready to end soon.
Do you want to see every phone in the world or just the ones in the U.S.

Thanks for that info Doug. I tried it and it worked fine. Nothing like using the tools that they put there for us. Frank 
Frank Conley

FrankC

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 04, 2011, 08:25:10 PM
Thanks Frank for posting the link to your phones.  They look very nice.

Thanks Dennis. I raised my prices recently. I was constantly having sellers remorse whenever a phone sold. They sometimes sell for less than what I have into them, not a good business deal...lol. I have been seeing this same basic D1 phone being auctioned by "NY Photographers" for $195.00 for the past 6 month, it never sells but they keep relisting it. Then I realized, there is a person who holds his ground, maybe I should do the same...anyway. Thanks to the Forum, I got over another hurdle. Frank.
Frank Conley