News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 900 which parts needed?

Started by cloyd, March 15, 2015, 10:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

I bought a Kellogg 900 Pyramid phone because the styling is so cool.  I was going to put it on a shelf as a decorative piece but now I am "into" old phones!  I saw an image of Vern Potter's 900 that had loads of parts in it that mine does not have.  I'll try to attach both images.

Because I am so new at this, I have many questions.  I realize that this phone is an extension set but does Vern's phone work (ring etc.) or is there still the need for a subset?  Did he have to drill new holes to anchor those parts?

I have learned that the first 900's needed subsets (model #?) but later ones didn't.  Is that right?  (I would rather not have the big oak box subset--nothing art deco about that.  Finances may require it.)   What are those model numbers of the early and late 900's?  Which parts am I missing to make my phone like Vern's?  (Vern, you have ruined my "decorator" piece with your beautiful upgraded phone!)

There are Art Deco subsets for the model 700; would that work for a 900?  There are "mini networks and bells" that can be purchased, but can I get original parts?  I want a little piece of history so it needs to have an authentic ring.  My 16 year old triplets are fascinated by these rotary phones.

I can pay someone else to do this, I know, but it will cost around $150-200.  Ouch.

Any help that I can get would be greatly appreciated.

cloyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Congrats, the Kellogg Masterphone 900 is also in my view one of the most stylish Art Deco designs to be found among telephones.
Here is mine attached to a contemporary cordless switchboard, the Kellogg 1007.

Let's see that we can get yours to work too.

In your second photo you are showing an equipped set.  The exact parts needed to achieve this are not easy to find.  I assume the first picture is yours.  It has very nice, apparently original cords.

The variations of the 900 were available concurrently, depending on applications.  For example when used as the operator console on a cordless PBX, the "guts" were not needed, because the PBX had an operator console circuit built in.  At subscriber stations, this was different, of course.

Basically to start, you have to make a decision about how you want to operate this set.
-> Equip it as an integrated set with induction coil and ringer, to be directly connected to a telephone line.
     a) with original parts, harder to find
     b) with modern parts, easier to find, must be innovative in terms of attaching
-> Use a external subscriber set
     a) an original Kellogg subset
     b) just anything that will make it work

For both options, we have have the additional choice of using a sidetone circuit (booster circuit), or an anti-sidetone circuit, which in Kellogg parlance was called the Triad Circuit, as it has an audio transformer (hybrid, induction coil) that uses three windings.

Indeed, if you can find a subset for the 700 model, that also works with the 900.  Both the 700 and the 900 coexisted for a while.

cloyd

Your help would be so great!  Thanks.

Here are a couple more questions.  Has anyone found the Masterphone font that I could use for the front label?  I have never seen these for sale.

The handset has a crack.  Can it be repaired, say with bondo, and painted?  Or should I glue and clamp?  Has anyone tried an ebony stain on the bakelite?  Doesn't bakelite contain wood fibers?  My phones are well-worn but I hesitate to paint them.

Thank you for your input.
cloyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on March 15, 2015, 11:12:09 AM
Your help would be so great!  Thanks.

Here are a couple more questions.  Has anyone found the Masterphone font that I could use for the front label?  I have never seen these for sale.

The handset has a crack.  Can it be repaired, say with bondo, and painted?  Or should I glue and clamp?  Has anyone tried an ebony stain on the bakelite?  Doesn't bakelite contain wood fibers?  My phones are well-worn but I hesitate to paint them.

Thank you for your input.
cloyd

That's too bad. Is the handle split length-wise?   Splitting has been observed on these handset, and this has been discussed in some places on the Forum here.  We also have discussions of repairing Bakelite here.  I would recommend searching and reading as much as you can about the subject. It may be possible to fix it, but it is also possible to simply find another handset.  These are often for sale online, and perhaps someone on the forum might even have a spare one to sell.
You need to discover which type of handset you have. The type is usually stamped inside the transmitter cavity.  The original handset probably was an  F-27.

You have to verify that the conductors molded into the plastic are still working.

rdelius

I might have the parts needed.Found a box of broken 900 sets in my  storage place. give me a few days to check

paul-f

Quote from: cloyd on March 15, 2015, 10:32:29 AM
I realize that this phone is an extension set but does Vern's phone work (ring etc.) or is there still the need for a subset?  Did he have to drill new holes to anchor those parts?

I have learned that the first 900's needed subsets (model #?) but later ones didn't.  Is that right?  (I would rather not have the big oak box subset--nothing art deco about that.  Finances may require it.)   What are those model numbers of the early and late 900's?  Which parts am I missing to make my phone like Vern's? cloyd

It's not a matter of earlier or later -- Masterphones were available with different internal components so they could be installed on a number of switches then in service, including manual magneto boards or common battery boards.

If you have the right components, they'll simply bolt in, like on Vern's set.

An alternative is to add a mini-network.

Here's a cut from the 1936 catalog available here:

http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/PDF/1936_CAT_92_MAGNETO.pdf
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

That sounds promising!

Here is an excerpt from the 1941 catalog with parts information for the 900 and the various configurations that were available.

cloyd

I took the handset apart and could not locate a model number.  You can see the crack in the handset but it is tiny.  I may leave it as authentic.
Tell me what you can see from the photo.  I took out the wires but saw no letters underneath.

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on March 15, 2015, 12:10:11 PM
I took the handset apart and could not locate a model number.  You can see the crack in the handset but it is tiny.  I may leave it as authentic.
Tell me what you can see from the photo.  I took out the wires but saw no letters underneath.
Yeah, I just looked at some other pictures and it appears the F-27 was not marked, but yours is the right kind.  I am glad to see the crack is just slight. Certainly you could try Bondo, but I probably would leave that alone for now.

Here is a picture of a conversion with a mini network that I found in one of these phones.

unbeldi

Looking at your Monophone internals again, I found that this is the model 900-A, as originally configured.  This is indicated by the type of hookswitch assembly, which is the type 58700.  This is the only variety that used this assembly with six connecting terminals.  You also have the original cords with type stickers on them. The 900-A used the F-673-G handset cord and the F-674-D mounting cord, both having three conductors.  I can see the first designation, but the second is hidden. You might want to compare.

This is really a nice original set.  Would love to see a picture of it standing up with handset in the cradle.

This begs the question what kind of philosophy you have to make it work again. Personally, I would keep the originality of the desk set itself and its cords and add an external subset.  A subset could be original too, or made quite small and unobtrusive with modern parts, with or without ringer, perhaps you have other phones on the same line that do the ringing already.

cloyd

You are right about needing to decide whether to make it work or go for an authentic restoration.  Much will depend on the cost, unfortunately. (I would like to stay married.)  If all this phone needs is a subset, I am inclined to go that route if I can.
You mentioned the original cords; the handset cord was cut so I'll have to get a replacement.  Do you have suggestions for the feet?
Here is the picture you asked for.  Thank you for the help, again.
cloyd

rdelius

The only parts set I have found in my storage is a broken set without a bottom and ringer.no hookswitch. does have a 406a ind coil and a #190 capacator assy  1.5 & 1 mf. handset cracks can be fixed with sanding and superglue in the dust filled crack.make sure the handle does not have an open circuit to the rec first. Will look for other parts

unbeldi

Thanks for the pics ... beautiful phone.  Too bad about your cord.

Here is a 1938 schematic diagram for the phone.  It shows the 900-A in the top part when used with an sidetone booster circuit subset.
On the bottom half is when used with the Kellogg TRIAD circuit, which is an anti-sidetone circuit.

cloyd

rdelius,

In March, you kindly responded to me with,

Quote from: rdelius on March 16, 2015, 05:32:32 PM
The only parts set I have found in my storage is a broken set without a bottom and ringer.no hookswitch. does have a 406a ind coil and a #190 capacator assy  1.5 & 1 mf. handset cracks can be fixed with sanding and superglue in the dust filled crack.make sure the handle does not have an open circuit to the rec first. Will look for other parts

I have since purchased another K900 but it had a buzzer installed and I don't know what the part is called that I still need.  I don't recognize the list of parts that you mentioned either (406a ind coil and a #190 capacitor assy).  I apologize for my ignorance.  Here are a couple of pictures to help identify what I need.  If you could let me know what it is called and also, if you might have one that I could buy from you, it would be a great help.

The picture on the left is my phone and the one on the right is Vern Potter's phone.  I have identified the part that I need in yellow.  (Not that you couldn't have figured it out on your own.)

Thank you for your help, again.
Tina Loyd

rdelius

All you need is the ringer.one out of a 925 or 9900 set will fit.Do not have one. Watch out for tuned (freq) ringers.The one you wast had a round clapper ball and a coiled  bias spring