News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Thanks everyone.
Key Systems (Electronic, 1A2 etc) / Re: 2565HKM Question
Last post by SUnset2 - Today at 12:27:42 AM
Quote from: 5415551212 on Yesterday at 10:32:36 PMI have had luck with a poor mans contact cleaner 50/50 mix of WD-40 mixed and 99% IPA.
Or you can purchase a contact cleaner such as DeoxIT
Wd-40 can turn gummy over time.  As a relatively inexpensive spray cleaner/lubricant, I usually use CRC 2-26.  Around here the phone repairmen always carried a can in their toolboxes (along with Western Electric Contact Cleaner).  It's available at Home Depot in the electrical section.  It costs more than WD-40, but is cheaper than DeoxIT.
Hey everyone,

I downloaded PNM manager 2.2 for running on my 386DX/33. However, the manual says it needs a 486, MS-DOS 6.2, and Windows (95, 98, or NT). Has anyone had success with running the programming utilities with a computer running less than the system requirements?

My system:

CPU: 486DX/33
Video: VGA
DOS version: 4.01 (I'll upgrade to 5 or 6.22 at some point)
Windows Version: 3.1
General Discussion / Re: Using WECo 107-Type Speake...
Last post by 5415551212 - Yesterday at 10:57:35 PM
Stereo? Amazing idea not sure how I would do that? Line 2?
Well since I am old and booooring,
I use a old 'music on hold' adapter along with my DP-1900 to pump analog sound (BBC world service or NPR news) into my phone system throughout the house on one of my intercom lines.

Its great fun when guests pick up my old phones and here the good o'l BBC.
Of course its not intrusive unless you take a phone off the hook and turn a 107 on.

For loads of fun you can actually do 'phone karaoke' (which I claim to have invented)  with a music on hold adapter intercom line, phone and 107 or other WE speaker.

Last post by 5415551212 - Yesterday at 10:32:36 PM
Quote from: HowardPgh on Yesterday at 04:00:00 PMI have recently troubleshooted my phone and found the reason for its poor functioning. Symptoms were weak transmit and low sidetone and receive volume.  Problem is in the keypad's muting switch that's on the back of the dial. I tried cleaning them but the contact is poor on several of the normally closed contacts. I'm not sure if its the contacts themselves or the thing that activates them not fully returning to rest.
Conclusion: Bad keypad (35AF3 I think)
Can you post a photo of the contacts?

I have had luck with a poor mans contact cleaner 50/50 mix of WD-40 mixed and 99% IPA.
Or you can purchase a contact cleaner such as DeoxIT
To further test the phone you can also just remove the dial.
Next you need a KSU.
Collector's Corner / Re: Two line phones a definiti...
Last post by 5415551212 - Yesterday at 09:03:56 PM
Wow thanks Paul! How many of these do you have?
I'd like to collect more two line phones but to do so I'd have to sell some of my single line phones to make room.
I currently have about 10 two line phones and 1 or two key phones.
However only about 4 are operational. 
Last post by HowardPgh - Yesterday at 04:00:00 PM
I have recently troubleshooted my phone and found the reason for its poor functioning. Symptoms were weak transmit and low sidetone and receive volume.  Problem is in the keypad's muting switch that's on the back of the dial. I tried cleaning them but the contact is poor on several of the normally closed contacts. I'm not sure if its the contacts themselves or the thing that activates them not fully returning to rest.
Conclusion: Bad keypad (35AF3 I think)
While there are many different models made by various manufacturers that will work satisfactory with your desk stand, a period correct model would be a WECo 534A common-battery subset.
Quote from: Shockandawe on Yesterday at 11:59:14 AMWhat is or was the thing on the side of the box. (IMG 4)
The missing item was a lightning arrester.
You will need to find a common-battery, sidetone subset instead of the Kellogg local-battery magneto subset that you currently have, for use on a regular PSTN line.

In the meantime, here is a wiring diagram for your Western Electric desk stand.