News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which Cable Type for New Home Wiring?

Started by cloyd, February 21, 2016, 01:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I don't think there is much difference in pulling. I would just use copper cat 5e.
Here is a good deal from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Cat5e-Ethernet-Cat-5e-VIVO-CABLE-V001/dp/B0092TG310/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1456521548&sr=1-8&keywords=cat+5+cable

Spend $1.01 on your husband and get free shipping.

JMO,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Quote from: Jim S. on February 26, 2016, 04:23:46 PM
I don't think there is much difference in pulling. I would just use copper cat 5e.
Here is a good deal from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Cat5e-Ethernet-Cat-5e-VIVO-CABLE-V001/dp/B0092TG310/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1456521548&sr=1-8&keywords=cat+5+cable

Spend $1.01 on your husband and get free shipping.

JMO,
Jim S.

This  wire is copper clad.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

You are right. For the  price vs project, I would  use this if makes it affordable.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

AE_Collector

I have never until now heard of copper clad aluminum wire in small gauges like this! I guess that with data cable one tends to either terminate it on some sort if IDC cinnector or in a RJ45 type plug that also is basically IDC so the fact that it is aluminum maybe isn't likely to cause a problem.

Looking back at aluminum house wiring from the 70's, a small nick from striping the insulation off of a conductor would easily cause the wire to break off after just a couple of bends wrapping it around a screw terminal. This wire at 24 gauge would seem likely to compound that problem significantly other than the fact that terminating it in most cases is one quick "punch" and the spot that is nicked by the IDs wont likely see any movement afterwards. Screw terminal phone jacks could be a different story though.

Stripping the jacket off with some sort of cutter rather than using a rip cord (if it has one) could very easily nick the conductors at the cable butt enough to cause the conductor to break off before you can get the jack mounted on the wall.

Terry

Pourme

Quote from: cloyd on February 26, 2016, 02:40:03 PM
Thank you Jim,
I think I have read that plenum cable is more flexible and easier to pull.  Is that your experience?  I know that riser cable is much cheaper.  No one answered my question about copper clad aluminum cable and whether it is up to code.  Or is solid copper cable the better way to go anyway?

I may be doing one run to each location simply because I think the future will be more wireless rather than less.  I might try running some cable this weekend.  If I find a generous space to run from the basement to the attic, it will make a difference.  Our house is plenty big and I figure one run to each location will take roughly 600 feet of cable.  At $160-ish for a box of 1,000 feet, I think future homeowners can pull their own cable.  Perhaps my husband isn't as forgiving of expenditures on my archaic hobby as other spouses might be.   :'(

Tina

I am at the point today you were when this thread was active. What did you wind up using? Did you go with solid copper or aluminium core? Give a update and advice to someone following in your footsteps, if you will....Thanks!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

cloyd

Pourme,

I decided to use Cat5e solid copper plenum cable.  It's the yellow cable in the photos.  (I had a box of 1000' left over if you are interested.)  I went with plenum because I didn't want to be ready to sell my house and have someone tell me that I couldn't have riser cable in a certain location.  I used a punch down termination (Cat3 RJ-11) in a flush mount box in the laundry room where I had mounted the PBX.  I'll take pictures later and post them.  I like the way it turned out.

If you are still building your home and you want an electrical termination box recessed into the wall between the studs, make sure the box is there so they space the studs correctly!!!  It's a bear to make room after the fact!

I color-coded the Cat3 connections but didn't follow through with the connections to and from the PBX.  I'll have to do that.  My daughter was thrilled to use the WE302 in her room to call other extensions in the house.

I will have to get you the parts numbers for my set-up which I had planned to do anyway.

More later,
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

jsowers

Tina, that's beautiful work. You should be very proud. For those who don't know, Tina is a high school science teacher and this is her first wiring project.

I used to work in IT for a school system. Once we had a Principal who ran his own Cat5 wiring and conduit and terminated it and I thought that was great, but you've surpassed him. It's even neat and professional looking. Your laundry room wallpaper is quite unusual too.  :)  Sort of goes with the bend of the wires.

Thanks for showing us the finished product.
Jonathan

cloyd

Thank you for the kind words.  Now I need to get the rest of my phones working!

I promised to post the sources for the materials I used.  Aside from incidentals like the velcro wrap, this is it.  I hope it saves someone a little time sourcing materials.

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Doug Rose

Tina...I have been a Phone Man for almost 40 years. Very impressive indeed! You should be VERY proud.....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

I'll say!...Very nice job, Tina....Impressive!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

Codes require  things to be installed in a "workman like manner". Your  install would be  considered to be  "workman like manner".

Very nice.
Jim S.

You live, You learn,

cloyd

Thank you.  I take "workman like manner" as high praise.
Tina

oldguy

Very impressive Tina, I'm thinking "workwoman like manner". Most guys don't have the patients to do that kind of work. You should be proud.
Gary

Fabius

Quote from: oldguy on May 21, 2016, 12:14:29 AM
Very impressive Tina, I'm thinking "workwoman like manner". Most guys don't have the patients to do that kind of work. You should be proud.

Actually we need to be gender neutral. So it's: "workperson like manner".  ;D
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Excellent work! Like Doug Rose I have been a telephone man most of my adult life Excellent work! It puts me to shame. The photo shows my Panasonic 616 sitting under my computer desk. Trust me, you don't want to see the wiring.  :-X
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905