News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A long awaited project coming to completion

Started by Key2871, May 15, 2018, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Well I'm going to pay under ten bucks for this, and it will arrive in about a weeks time. Plus I'm not worried about putting it in until spring, it I've been looking for an led light that will provide a lot of light,and not take up a lot of space in the process. I can mount it close to the back in a small area so when I stand up I don't have to worry about hitting my head on it, as I'm 6'4. And was hitting my head on the brackets holding my work light over the bench.
Plus I'm not using the medium base adapter that it comes with, I have other plans for that later. This will provide me with the light I want, at a reasonable price. Plus I need to get my other parts for another project also coming up this spring and they all come from the same place.
KEN

Key2871

Dang it, I was all ready to order that part, sold out.
Moderator dead link on that previous post.

Ken
KEN

robert_m

Quote from: Key2871 on May 16, 2018, 08:23:03 PM
Today I added the tool holder, to the right. Because space is becoming a problem.
The orange handle tool is my RJ crimper it crimps all RJ connectors, then wire cutters and Needle nose pliers. Screwdrivers are near the back.
I also mounted the intercom unit, and I'm designing it's connection layout in my mind.
Made a wall phone test Jack, I used a small modular coupler before, and it worked OK, but today I decided to just use a wall Jack and add a short spade cord and coupler.
Tomorrow the panel phone gets a new look, and going to make the cover for the back of the panel phone..
And layout the intercom connections, and quick connect to house phones, and my payphone. I want it to connect to the intercom so if the wife wants me the payphone rings. And if I want her, I just call the house. I'm not connecting with the house line. Because it's Magic Jack, and I don't like it because the quality is not good. And if someone wants to talk with me they just call my cell phone.
I would like to have it all operate on cell number, but I can't afford to buy the tech stuff to make that happen. And because we're in a moderate service area, so sometimes the cell doesn't always work great.

Thier is a neat device, xlink, ive used this for years, and works well......https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Technologies-BT-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B00135XU7Q

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Quote from: Key2871 on January 28, 2019, 04:29:47 PM
Dang it, I was all ready to order that part, sold out.
Moderator dead link on that previous post.

Link marked dead but there are others available, search the All Electronics site for "LED Downlight"

https://www.allelectronics.com/index.php?page=seek&id%5Bm%5D=&id%5Bq%5D=led+downlight

or this, the equivalent light (warm, not cool light)

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/led-56ww/5-6-12w-led-retrofit-downlight-warm-white/1.html

Key2871

Yes, I've seen those, but I wanted a really bright light, the other is only rated for 75 watt type. I've actually looked at other places and found equal to for a little more than AEC has. And by the time I paid shipping, etc. I can get one where I used to work for only a few bucks more.
I thought since I could get one from AEC I could do so for better than some other places I've seen on line, but turns out not really.
This is frustrating when I the item I wanted is there for a long while, then all the sudden it's sold out... Oh well such is life.
KEN

Pourme

I have installed several of those in my home, from Lowe's. Dim-able, I like mine, and they are plenty bright as well!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Key2871

I don't have any cans in my house, but I've done these for a few jobs I've been on, they are great refit for old incandescent styles. I thought I could get a better price at AEC because I've done lots of business with them, but like everything they sell there's always the chance they will sell out. But I got the idea of using one of those in my test bench because I can drill a few holes in the collar to mount it .
I used to work in a supply house and thought douh I can call Kevin and see what they are going for. So that's what I did, Friday I go pick one up, by the time I paid shipping, I'm getting similar for the same price
Win win. Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.. so I'm getting psyched about putting it in. Next week is supposed to be warmer, so that's when I plan on doing it.
Oh I can't wait for spring!
KEN

Key2871

Well I've had all winter to think about what I wanted to do as far as making a storage place for my manual book. And I have decided to not go with a longer top, at least for now.
But what I thought of was under the top, using that space for extras, such as tools, adapters etc. Along with my schematic diagram book I made years ago using several MFRs of diagrams. All I have to do is go pickup some hinges tomorrow, and touch up paint some spots and that's done.
Check out the progress so far. I'm going to wait to mount the hardware until I get things painted, then I'll do that.
To keep the top shut, I'm going to get a small hook for a box and mount that on the right side. That way the top can't come up until I slide the hook away. I may still go with a larger, longer top eventually, but I'm going to try this for now.

KEN

compubit

You keep inspiring me to build out a workbench in my basement! Now that German classes are over (that was Monday/Wednesday evenings), it's down to just Tuesday/Thursday evenings and effectively all day Saturday for Rugby. One of these days...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

As I continue to improve my test desk, I added casters from an old office chair a few days ago. I recessed the hinges on my top. This way nothing will get hung up on them.
The castors raised the whole thing up about three inches, and I planned on that when I designed it, so it's actually a better hight for doing close up work.
Now that it's way easier to move, I don't have to worry about straining my back or tipping the whole thing over.
And my not so needed tools can get stashed under the top.
I was going to use a hook to latch down the top, but it's heavy enough to stay down when I move it, so that wasn't needed. I still have to put up my light over the top for better lighting. Although I did add a couple led bulbs in the peek of the roof, helping brighten up the shed. But I have an led light to put in over the desk to really light up my work area.
I just have to get a couple pieces made to put that up.
KEN

Key2871

So far it's been a light load on phones, I guess people are really going wireless.
And that brings me to another point. Used phones, there are a few decent Western phones in storage, that I'm afraid are going to get dumped because nobody wants used phones much anymore. So this probably isn't the best place to post this, but I'm going to propose listing these sets her on CRPF. I think the prices will be very reasonable, it's just shipping that's the biggest expense.
So I would like to ask if anyone here has a desire to purchase some of these sets.
As I have said the prices will be reasonable, I've been pricing these well under $10. Each. Most sets I've priced about two, to five bucks each.
As has been noted they do work, and condition is good to new.
So if anyone is interested please let me know, because storage space is extremely low and I really don't want to see these just get thrown out.
I will post pictures, and prices. I'm doing this strictly for the HHSF benefits me not. I'll pack each set as carefully as possible, and try to keep shipping expenses as low as possible.
KEN

compubit

Looking back at your bench - the black panel phone really looks sharp!  I know it's not original, but I definitely prefer that over the beige color scheme...

I would have thought there might have been other colors - to left folks match their kitchens, etc...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

Thanks Jim. Well I like it too it's a great phone I've always liked the design of a built in telephone and when I first saw one in a frame at the local CO, (it's still there) and then on the #1 ESS at the Museum, I said I have to do that.
That's where the idea for a test bench came into play, then I just added other stuff because it just worked out.

That started life as a White frame and silver face plate, but I painted the frame nice gloss black, and muted the face black by painting it over far away from the can, giving it a non gloss, but almost gloss, like the faceplates of WE phones were. It did come out well, and actually stood up well to things bumping or hitting the paint, hasn't chipped. The the handset was a buffed C stock AT&T marked Black handset.
Really handy for checking sound quality for other sets, as well as answering machines.

And I hope that a few people join in my quest to save some phones from destruction. There's a WE big button set, I like and perhaps will just buy it myself, but other AT&T trimlines, and those types of phones. But sadly I don't think anyone is into my idea.
I realize shipping is the biggest deturant.
Well nobody can say I didn't offer..
KEN

HarrySmith

I think everyone here is interested in saving as many old phones as possible! Of course money is always a concern and may be the reason more are not rescued.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotarDad

Ken - You raise a great point on the likely falling value of most common old phones due to declining land-line use. I believe now is a good time for us to put common stuff on eBay and get the value out of it, before land line use falls to extremely low levels.  I believe about half of US homes have dropped their land line, and the drop rate will likely continue at a rapid pace.  There still is a decent market on EBay for common phones, especially shiny ones as we know, but the window is closing in my opinion.  Collectible phones are somewhat different since they aren't generally bought with the intent to use them.   Sell 10 common phones, and use the money to buy one nicer more-collectible one....  :)

Very nice job on your mobile workspace!
Paul