News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bakelite Radios - do’s and don'ts?

Started by FABphones, March 09, 2021, 04:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Fortunately, that is just dirt.  Moisture damage, corrosion and deteriorated speaker cones are more immediate red flags.  My '47 Magnavox console, shown in the off topic old radio section, had had a target arrow shot through the front grille and the speaker cone.  The chassis appeared cleaner than the above picture, but had mouse P in some of the adjustable mica capacitors.   I had to find a suitable replacement from an old parts source.  I have much of the rodentine goodness cooked out of the thing by now, though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

I rescued a sears silvertone radio with original tubes.... going to donate it to a electronics thrift store for someone to restore... the mice got into the chassis and did a number on the wiring. plus all nthe caps have to be replaced... along with other parts... hopefully someone local will grab it up and get it working again.... it even had the original cloth cord....
John

Quote from: RB on March 09, 2021, 08:04:30 AM
As Jack pointed out, the caps HAVE DRIED OUT.
No question, no extra thot needed.
They ARE bad.
I could not agree more, just replace all the caps.

19and41

I always recommend this forum to people on the Antique Radio Forum that have telephones to restore or use, so I will recommend the Antique Radio Forum here.  It is a good resource for any questions you may have, and a help in finding parts sources.

https://antiqueradios.com/
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke