News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 150 Candlestick

Started by Doug Rose, July 16, 2022, 10:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This was also found at the first table I went to yesterday at Brimfield. I thought it was a fake as I had never seen that perch and mouthpiece on a stick. Janet had ran back to the car as we bought a few phones with this dealer.

I kept looking at it and when Janet came back she said, "just get it!" Dealer helped as he said it is only $50 so I bought the "fake."

I thought is was a fake until I saw CJ's post on her two GPO 150 Candlestick Lamps. She is the expert on these!

I feel a bit foolish, but at least I didn't leave it there as I had Janet already take pics to ask the Forum when I got home.

I love the way th receiver has turned to a butterscotch color. Cap has the howler notch....very cool.

This is the heaviest Candlestick I have ever lifted!!!....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Yeah, first impression is... What???
But the more you look at it, the more it grows on you.
Nice find, Doug.

Doug Rose

thanks Rod....I am surpised how heavy it is. It is a keeper....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

A nice find.  :)

Two quick and easy ways to check these to make sure not repro is to look at the baseplate:
- Centre screw and a rubber anti-slip ring. Often they also have a white circle.
- The model no, year and manufacturer codes are stamped into each side to top, above the nut.

Your phone appears to have been made as a No150 (not converted from an earlier model). If you add a close up photo of the left side above the nut we can tell you who made the phone and when.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Looks like the real thing to me, although I think it's been repainted - certainly the dial as I'm not aware a No12 was ever issued with a black finger plate and finger stop.

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on July 17, 2022, 02:46:36 AM...If you add a close up photo of the left side above the nut we can tell you who made the phone and when.
CJ here are the pics and I do not see any codes stamped...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

CJ...just to muddy the waters, I remembered this phone that Janet bought at a yard sale that I had put away as I thought it was a repro. Cloth cord, professionally upgraded with a warbler to function.

This is where the "fake" bug hit me....thanks for all your help...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

For comparison, I've just taken these three images of one of mine. These are the three main areas to look at when checking these phones.

Zoom in on your phone, flash on, and you should be able to get similar images of your stick. Some stamps are clearer than others but they will be there.

The base image on mine shows a white rubber ring, these are also found in black, or are missing. If missing, look for the groove where one would usually be.

The large white 'spot' is often but not always present as well.

—-

FABphones

The second stick might be genuine (or parts of it). Possibly an earlier No2. The base looks higher than usual.

Take the same photos as mentioned above.

If you haven't already, start a new thread for the second phone.

:)

Doug Rose

CJ....you are right on on both....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

150 Candlestick:
Made in the UK by Plessey.
Dated 1930.

Cords not original to the stick, later No12 dial, but still a nice example.

Both sticks worthy of display.

To function correctly it needs a Bellset No1 (wooden) or a later Bellset No25 (Bakelite).

:)

Doug Rose

thanks CJ, I do appreciate it. Is the No2 older or just a different design...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

No 2 is older, but as CJ says the base on your one doesn't look right. It also wouldn't have a dial originally so the No10 that yours appears to have would be a later addition.
Details of these and other GPO phones are on Bob Freshwater's site. Main site - https://www.britishtelephones.com/ - and GPO list - https://www.britishtelephones.com/telelist.htm

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on July 17, 2022, 04:37:49 PMNo 2 is older, but as CJ says the base on your one doesn't look right. It also wouldn't have a dial originally so the No10 that yours appears to have would be a later addition.
Details of these and other GPO phones are on Bob Freshwater's site. Main site - https://www.britishtelephones.com/ - and GPO list - https://www.britishtelephones.com/telelist.htm

thanks for the info Tubaman......Doug
Kidphone