News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cracked and Chipped AE34 Restored

Started by RDPipes, July 29, 2022, 04:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Well, I was lucky enough to find another AE34 but, it had a good size crack from the dial to the base and the switch hook had half the little mound it protrudes through chipped off. I still thought it was worth the $45 I paid for it and remembering what CJ had done a few times with a little Black Milliput I decided go ahead with it.
No fancy technique's here just super glued the crack with the thin stuff, sanded smooth then wet sanded 400 to 2000. The chip was going to be more of a pain so I left it till last. Again, nothing fancy here just mixed up some Black Milliput and started rolling it out in a little snake and started applying it to it, then with a little water on my index smooth and sculpted it as good as I could. Once dry I sanded it to shape and also wet sanded through 4 grits again and buffed it as I did the rest of the phone after sanding it thru 4 grits first. I think it came out pretty dadburn good and unlike the first AE34, this one I had no problem wiring to work. First two photos are the before showing the damages.

HarrySmith

Nice work! Looks great. Gary Goff sells repro gaskets for that phone. I used a couple in the past. They fit fine & look good.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 29, 2022, 04:47:03 PMNice work! Looks great. Gary Goff sells repro gaskets for that phone. I used a couple in the past. They fit fine & look good.

Thank you Harry, and I was thinking about getting a couple gaskets from him, I think my other 34 or 40 needs one too.

FABphones

Wow. Excellent result. Very inspiring.

Thanks for sharing.
👍  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on July 29, 2022, 06:04:18 PMWow. Excellent result. Very inspiring.

Thanks for sharing.
👍  :)

Thank you CJ!