News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 51C Candlestick restoration ..the monster that wouldn't leave my kitchen table....for a month!

Started by Darkstar2006, August 20, 2022, 06:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkstar2006

Ok short back story
Went to an auction. In the box lot was this candle stick with a good "clicky" dial and a cherry red 554 (1971). 
$12. plus change and off to my house to live on my kitchen table for a frustrating month.
When I opened up the stick, outside of the dial (4H with jumper from BB to R over stamped W, date stamp 41) and the bullnose (date stamp 45), it was stripped. no wiring, transmitter or transmitter backing plate. (I knew that the receiver was missing) so I had a dirty clicking stick. perch stamped 51c, bottom phone housing red stamped 229
first order
Purchased a repro receiver and transmitter mounting plate from OPS. (I had a good T1).
next: find a subset(info later)
Now the nightmare, the wiring, I down-loaded stacks of wiring diagrams, posts, and pictures.  with some small victories, receiver worked transmitter didn't and wouldn't break dial tone etc, etc. I scrapped my wiring and started again.
I finally found a 51c wiring dia. and pictures of a wired stack to a #2 dial with the 5 wires from the stack. The dia. showed 5 subset wires. I looked at subsets for sale none had an RR terminal until I found a working, butt ugly 684BC with 5 to 8 coats of who knows what type of paint on it.The stack is a 5 wire stack the only marked terminal is RR
From pictures:

STACK to DIAL and 4 mounted terminals RR, B and R, GN
RR to RR term
bottom right stack term to YY transmitter wire
R (red)from top stack term to R term
BB (double blue) from 2nd down stack term to BB on Dial
B (blue) from bottom left stack to B term
Black wire from transmitter to BK on dial

RECEIVER to DIAL
one of the wires to W on dial
one of the wires to GN term.

PHONE to SUBSET - and maybe a problem

RR from term to RR term on subset (shown black wire)
R from term to R on network (red wire)
B from term to L1 (blue wire)
Y from dial to L2 (yellow wire)
NOW THE PROBLEM
GN from term to GN on network didn't work. The phone would dial, transmit sound, and stop ringing when receiver was lifted but no sound out of the receive...... UNTIL I CONNECTED THE GN (green wire) TO L2 now the phone works fine BUT am I doing and damage to the phone or subset by connecting the green (GN) to L2. ANY THOUGHTS AND/OR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Also pictures of completed phone and cleaned subset.
Why do people with cell phones use "old phone" as their ring tone?

-Dave S.

poplar1

When the 51C is connected to the proper subset (554-C), the blue wire from the phone does not connect to L1, but rather to the ringer. Not sure if this is relevant here.

The extra hookswitch contacts (B and RR) -- and the extra blue and double-red wires from the phone to the subset --  are for changing the ringer path through the talk circuit to ground when phone is off-hook. This was done for billing the correct party on certain party lines, and it is no longer necessary for the ringer to be connected this way.

There is always a problem when trying to connect a sidetone candlestick (20, 40, 50, 51 types) to an anti-sidetone subset (634, 684). Not sure we ever resolved that one.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Darkstar2006

Thanks for the insight
I couldn't find the picture of my temporary hookup from the phone to the network. but here it is. Maybe I should just be happy that its off my kitchen table and working in my living room.
Why do people with cell phones use "old phone" as their ring tone?

-Dave S.