News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 93-A Test Set

Started by Doug Rose, September 30, 2022, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Looks like it has never been used, great cloth cord with a RCA plug.

The coolest thing is it has what looks like a WORKING Level on the top.

5.5" high (to top of level), 4.25 across, 2.25 deep

Any idea what this was used for?

It is a very cool set.....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

There's a WE version on eBay right now - https://www.ebay.com/itm/173905142517 - appears to just have a coil inside it, but if so why the level?

"This auction is for the Western Electric Model 93A test set only.

It is basically a coil you plug into a tip and ring socket and then measure on the other end of the line (either resistance or something else, not too sure but probably resistance to show the line has continuity).

Testing:

The coil inside is dated 1952 and read at around 300K ohms on my Simpson 260 meter.  The brass needs some serious cleaning so your resistance measurements will vary (probably improve) after some metal polish is applied.  The wooden dovetail box is a nice feature and has all the original brass screws, and a two-axis level that still has fluid in it."

paul-f

From the NE Catalog Cards in the TCI Library:
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

tubaman

I did do a search on TCI Library but wasn't aware of these catalogue cards.
It explains why the level is needed, and I wonder if the single one on Doug's example is a replacement?

paul-f

Quote from: tubaman on September 30, 2022, 11:49:18 AMI did do a search on TCI Library but wasn't aware of these catalogue cards.
Both the NE and WE Card Catalogs are useful for finding products if the model number is known.

NE Card content can be found using the TCI Library's site Google search -- enter, for example, ne 93a test set

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search/google-search

Links to the Library pages for the WE and NE card catalogs are available my hovering over "Browse the Library" on the black menu bar.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

I think this was an inductive cable locating pick-up