News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 D-170901 Military or ?

Started by RDPipes, October 03, 2022, 02:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Recently picked up Western Electric that appears to be a modified TP-6 for military use or other wise, unsure.
Several puzzling things about it and it's why I picked it up. First it has a E-2 handset which probably doesn't go with it but, I'm unsure being the cords were removed from it before I got it and I believe they stopped using the type "E" handset in the early 40's. One other thing, I've seen my share of TA-45/GT dials before but, not one stamped like this one with MFP8-50 in color and 38787-PHILA-53-1311 in white. The grommets pictured in one of the photos are one that came with it and one I had from before. One more thing, I wonder if the colored "C" on the front of the case has anything to do with why it was manufactured in this way or for what its purpose was? One last thing, the base is also stamped SC5613A which isn't listed on Paul's site either. Gleaned a lot from Paul's site but, I still have unanswered questions. Anyone know anything more and or answers to my questions? 

HarrySmith

The MFP means Moisture Fungus Proof from the Signal Corps. The dial is not We, that is an AE dial. That's all the help I can offer.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 03, 2022, 04:44:02 PMThe MFP means Moisture Fungus Proof from the Signal Corps. The dial is not We, that is an AE dial. That's all the help I can offer.

Thank you Harry, I knew it was a Signal Corp dial but, I didn't know what the MFP meant.
So it must have been treated with anti-fungus on 8-50.

poplar1

Dial is a Telephonic. SC5631A may refer to the Signal Corps.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on October 03, 2022, 05:54:12 PMDial is a Telephonic. SC5631A may refer to the Signal Corps.
Ah okay, the dial was hard to read upside down and I figure it was like the other one I have marked Signal Corps, thank you Dave!

FABphones

On your sixth image (of the dial reverse) I can't read the detail which is lower left of the image.

If you set your camera to take high resolution images and then crop/resize images to 3,000 on the largest side, they should expand better when clicked on so we can clearly see any finer detail.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on October 04, 2022, 01:49:16 AMOn your sixth image (of the dial reverse) I can't read the detail which is lower left of the image.

If you set your camera to take high resolution images and then crop/resize images to 3,000 on the largest side, they should expand better when clicked on so we can clearly see any finer detail.

:)

CJ, it's just a poor photo and it's my fault mainly because I tried to photo the dial without removing it from the case completely. On the part of the dial your asking about it reads: 38787-PHILA-53-1311. I don't know what Philadelphia has to do with the dial or the phone but, I'm assuming that's what it stands for.

rdelius

Phila contract place 53 the date . Typical signal corps contract information

RDPipes

Quote from: rdelius on October 04, 2022, 10:50:45 AMPhila contract place 53 the date . Typical signal corps contract information

Thank you sir!

RDPipes

Well, I reckon this one gets stored away until I can afford cordage for it and find out more about
what handset truly went on it and if the "C" should remain on the case. Case is not in great condition
and certainly needs sanding smooth before attempting to polish.

rdelius

RDPipes