News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Indian Motorcycles and a telephone building

Started by Phonesrfun, November 07, 2013, 11:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I have lived In Walla Walla, WA now for the last 8 years.  I am a transplant from Seattle.  The smaller town in interesting in that there is a lot of history here since Walla Walla was the territorial capital for the territory of Washington back in the mid to late 1800's.

There are lots and lots of old buildings here that are still standing, and remain largely un-modified.  It kind of reminds me of our phones, only on a much larger scale.  History and old buildings interest me so I have been looking at old pictures of old buildings in Walla Walla lately.

Unfortunately, the Telephone Company building shown in the photo below is gone.  Razed by Pacific Telephone after they built a new central office accross the street in 1936.  That building still stands and was added onto in 1956 when new dial equipment was installed.  Prior to 1956, Walla Walla was like Mayberry in the Andy Griffith show.  No automatic dial equipment.  Lift the receriver and get "Number Please".

Below is a photo from 1915 of 6 Indian motorcycles lined up in front of the Telephone Company building.  The motorcyclists were apparently in an Indian Motorcycle club.

Mike Wolfe, and Frank Fritz from American Pickers (If you're lurking) ---  Eat your hearts out.  Oh, and PS if you're lurking put more phones on your shows.  :)

-Bill G