News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone into old lanterns? (The Sequel Part 6, Epilogue II)

Started by TelePlay, October 13, 2016, 06:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

These are worse than phones. Way to many styles and types out there. Even after paying a huuuuuge amount to a shrink to get out of the habit of buying another lantern, I regressed today and picked up my very first Dietz hot blast lantern. It is a not-so-rare but highly desirable Dietz King Fire Department Lantern - or as I call it, a lantern in chain mail - that is indeed interesting in its construction and operation.

Seller wanted $125. Doing my research, figured the replacement parts to run under $60 so went back and offered $90. He accepted (should have offered $75, right?). I guess $90 in pocket is better than an old busted lantern hanging on a hook. In its condition and not having to pay shipping, I good with what I paid.

Anyway, it's a solid brass lantern so absolutely no rust or corrosion. Needs a new burner and burner cup, a new fuel cap and fuel spout, new globe and wicks. $68.72 with postage and that includes two globes, a clear glass and red glass. The lantern also has a few bends  and dents here and there to be straightened out. Might re-seal the fuel tank since I have plenty of that stuff from the last lantern project.

The original, as purchased hood down and then hood up photos are below along with the lantern details. The bottom shows the brass nicely. After that are two lanterns for sale on eBay (highest listed) and two that sold on eBay. I would hope to have a $300 lantern when done. Enough for now, have to go mix up a batch of molasses.

TelePlay

This is a nice shot what the lantern will hopefully look like when done. It's from the one eBay listing.

TelePlay

Looking better after two soakings and gentle cleanings. Lot to clean off in the corners and niches.

The new burner, burner cup and fuel filler spout should be here in a day or two so time to start cutting the existing burner out of the air chamber. Sure glad Mr. Dremel designed his famous tool and cutting accessories.

shortrackskater

Those look great!
I had a few of these, and like an idiot - sold three on ebay for next to nothing about 5 years ago. I kept one and it's just hanging in my garage, unrestored. I did see one at a craft shop that someone painted blue. It actually looked good just as a decorative piece and they wanted something like $100 for it.
Hope to see a shot of yours fired up when it's done.
Mark J.

TelePlay

Got lucky on the fuel spout and burner.

Had to destroy the spout to get it out (was crimped in, not soldered) but it's out and ready for the new one.

As for the burner, all I had to do was place a small screwdriver across the screen-less burner and pry down on itself. Someone had already removed the air screen making that possible. To my surprise, the burner moved up a bit. Put the screwdriver in the same way from the other side and the burner popped out! It's nice to have something work out nice, for a change, once in a while.

Used Mr. Dremel to clean out the burner cup and except for a few stress cracks to be soldered tight (circled in green), the burner is ready to receive the new one arriving tomorrow.

Now, on to removing the rest of the "corner" crud and straightening bent wires, panels, pipes and cage areas. For just two cleanings, the lantern has already taken on a very nice golden tone.

TelePlay

Was just thinking why I post all this work. Might be to discourage others who think they might want to restore an old lantern to safe and working condition - the time, the money, creation of tools and parts needed no longer available.

Anyway, on advice from my lantern expert, I was told to replace the burner cup (due to stress cracks) and to place a support in the air chamber to support the burner cone (the chamber also had 5 or 6 stress cracks). Bought a cup but the support had to be manufactured. Ace Hardware sells a 1" wide 1/16" thick flat brass plate. All I needed for raw materials to make the support.

First. the burner cup. The original was crimped into the hole in the bottom of the air chamber. Easy to remove by grabbing it with a needle nose pliers vertically and twisting the pliers, to wrap the cup around the pliers and pull the cup crimp away from the burner base. What was left of the old cup is shown with the new cup, which will have to be soldered into place. Other photos show the clean brass ready to accept the cup and what it will look like when done.

The brass plate had to be rolled into a 1 3/4" circle. Easily done with a rubber roller used normally to stick formica to wood. The second image shows the rolled brass inside the font, first above the air tube inlets and then past them. The round plate will have to be cut to length and then holes cut into it for each of the two air tubes and the burner wick bail. Once done, the support will be soldered into place. The 12 gauge copper wire on the outside is holding the cracked air chamber in a diameter that will allow the burner cone to properly fit onto it.

The empty hole in the fuel tank is for the new fuel font to be installed after the internal tank walls are sealed.

Nothing to it, right?  . . . .  ???  It's very enjoyable working on these but takes time, money and a strong interest in getting to the final product. It's a real commitment to do this level of restoration.

TelePlay

Surgery was a success.  The new air chamber support is in. This was as it looked like under anesthesia.

Coming along nicely, but slowly . . .  Will post after pics when the lantern wakes up . . .   :)

TelePlay

Finished installing the air chamber support (1/16" by 1" wide brass flat cut the diameter and ports cut out for both air tubes) and soldered in the new burner cup. The heart of the lantern is now done. Will put the second coat of tank sealer in tonight and in 4 days will solder the new fuel spout into place. Should be ready to light at that point, next Sunday at the earliest.

Picture is the air chamber as purchased and after being rebuilt. The two little holes in the upper left are used to mount a hinged burner cone. In the before picture, you can see the brass wire used to hold the original cone in place, wire mount was there but the cone was ripped off the hinge.

shortrackskater

Mark J.

TelePlay

Quote from: shortrackskater on November 16, 2016, 12:25:04 PM
Looking good! I had no idea the complexity of these.

Thanksm and not only are they complex (fuel delivery, air mix and controlled combustion) to produce light (and heat) but also I've discovered with this lantern that brass, at least the thin brass they used, is quite fragile over time. Both my last part brass lantern and this all brass lantern showed many signs of age in the form of stress cracks. The air chamber and burner cup were so cracked, they had to be supported and replaced, respectively. The fuel tank also showed defects that could become cracks the same as my last brass tank lantern. As such, both the last one and this one had to be coated with POR 15 tank sealer.

It could not be taken back to NOS condition due to dings and bends and age marks from heat and whatever to I left it with a lot of character - clean and shiny but looking somewhat used. With nothing left to do until the second coating of sealer dries, I put it together, less the wick and fuel spout, and am letting it just hang around until Sunday. This is my first Hot Blast type lantern so I'm interested in its operation while and after being lit.

TelePlay

Finished. Tank sealer fully cured. Installed the fuel font, wick and globe. Filled with fuel and waited about 5 minutes for the wick to wet.
Started with the first match.

And the bottom image taken in daylight for a quick comparison.

I did leave a lot of "character" on the lantern. No way was this ever going to be NOS when done. Some dents, some wire bends and some dark spots here and there on the lantern. Looks like it's been used for 10 years with good daily lantern upkeep.

Not the best lighting or composition but it's done (except for before and after pictures) and it works and this is my last lantern, ever, really, no more, ever and that's final!

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on November 20, 2016, 02:49:53 AMand this is my last lantern, ever, really, no more, ever and that's final!

Hmm, heard that before somewhere...  ;D

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on November 20, 2016, 02:49:53 AM
Finished. Tank sealer fully cured. Installed the fuel font, wick and globe. Filled with fuel and waited about 5 minutes for the wick to wet.
Started with the first match.

I did leave a lot of "character" on the lantern. No way was this ever going to be NOS when done. Some dents, some wire bends and some dark spots here and there on the lantern. Looks like it's been used for 10 years with good daily lantern upkeep.

Not the best lighting or composition but it's done (except for before and after pictures) and it works and this is my last lantern, ever, really, no more, ever and that's final!

But John....You do such a fine job....and there are so many "needy" lanterns out there!....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Was not looking for another lantern so just stumbled on this ending listing for a nickle plated brass Dietz Fire King Little Wizard lantern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dietz-No-2-Wizard-Queen-Nickel-Fire-Tubular-Fire-Dept-Lantern-/352035711850

It sold for what I thought was a high $500.  Didn't know they nickle plated lanterns but my contact in California said they did and he had seen these sell for as much as $3,000 over the past 20 years. He also sent me a photo of a nicely restored nickle plated except for the brass and chimney and top cap (second from the left). Now, that is one sharp looking lantern, especially with the blue globe.

The $500 lantern is on the left, the 3 on the right all all mine. Seems Dietz could make any style lantern in the the cage with a splash guard style lantern desired by fire departments. All of the fire department style lanterns have small fuel fonts, probably enough fuel for 12 hours. The larger fonts hold enough fuel to burn for at least two days straight.

And now I think the center lantern has nickle plated air tubes, they were in perfect condition and shine like chrome. You can see the difference where the top of the air tubes enter the chimney.

That second from the left with the blue globe is one sharp looking lantern.