News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 389W Candlestick Phone..Radio? Microphone?

Started by John S, October 26, 2012, 04:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this Western Electric  candlestick?  Not sure what it was use for.  I was trying to find information on it, but can't seem to find anything on it.  I bought it this morning at an estate sale.  I paid 25.00 for it. I bought another candlestick and some miscellaneous parts.  I never seen one like this before.  There was a decal on the the phone, buts its been rub off from use.  Only thing I can make out

Ampli......Sounds System

There is a address but hard to make out....

It has a push lever that says "press to talk"

Here are the pictures....Anyone have any idea?

John

Sargeguy

It's a microphone.  Probably from a PA system.  I will add the transmitter to the list
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

K1WI

John S,
      Nice microphone you have.  I mostly collect Western Electric Microphones  and have a few 389W transmitters. Most were used as "special purpose"   microphones" at AM radio stations (FM didn't exist yet). The one in my pictures was used at New York radio station WOR to make those old "we are experiencing technical difficulty announcenents. Most were on a candlestick base without a switch hook opening, yours has a PTT switch so as Sargeguy said was probably used as a PA system mirophone.  These mikes have excellent sound and there seems to be a demand from audiophiles.   I have a Son-in Law that is a a DJ and he uses a 389W at times for "deep sounds". They also work very well with older tube type amatuer radio transmitters.
Andy F    K1WI

John S

Thanks for the reply...

The things you learn on here...For 25 bucks I could not pass it up.  Not sure if I will keep it in my collection, but I have to say it does look really cool.  I will try to get pic of my other items on here.  Found some cool stuff this morning.  Thanks for the info!!

John

K1WI

John S,
    Super buy , as you know just buy the weight it's worth that price as scrap metal. (just kidding) I am no expert by any means but would say you could get significantly , and I mean very significantly more , than you paid if you can find a microphone colector versus a phone collector...(I'm both and sometimes suprised what good mikes sell for)
   There are few members of this forum that have vast knowledge of these more unusual items , hopefuly they can fill you in.

Check out ebay item number 110961505811   it shows just one example of the  type of equipment that your mike might have been used on .  ( Sorry can't build link to auction with my smart phone)

Picture of some less common Western Electric transmitters ,some were used both in phones and as microphones.
Andy F    K1WI