News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Continental D1 with a Strange Marking

Started by Doug Rose, May 16, 2018, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan found this D1 at Brimfield. It cleaned up great. When removing the dirt I saw a marking over the Factory D1. Was this someone just marking their stuff.?....Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

Looks like it was done with a hand held engraving tool. Driver's license number? Inventory number of a prop company?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Doug Rose

Thanks Tom....that was my guess as well.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Definately looks hand engraved. Could also poss be a zip code / post code (so it could be traced if stolen).

(You've got some super phones in your collectioin btw).  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Fab....I agree with what you said about the markings. Thanks for the kind words on my collection. Same as everyone, it started with one phone and an itch to get another. Forty years of having fun collevting telephones....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Know what you mean Doug.
A family friend started me off with the gift of a GPO 232 that he had 'recovered' from an old lady's house (he worked for the GPO on domestic installations).
I imagine it was something like 'Oh madam, you don't want that nasty old dial phone - let me replace it with a nice modern push-button one'.
I picked-up a few others over following years until I discovered eBay.
Since then the addiction has been fully set in.  I check eBay every day for new listings. I have saved searches......Do I need therapy???
;)

HarrySmith

You have Phoneitis just like everyone else here. This forum is the best therapy. That and getting more phones!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

This forum is great, and getting more phones does help, but it's only a temporary fix. The more I have the more I seem to want!
;D

Pourme

Quote from: tubaman on May 18, 2018, 07:42:06 AM
This forum is great, and getting more phones does help, but it's only a temporary fix. The more I have the more I seem to want!
;D

The good thing is...once you get around 100 or so....your wife can't even tell when you bring home another one!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

tubaman

I am at about that many, but they're nearly all in one room - the spare bedroom.
It's a good job we never use it as finding the bed is getting increasingly difficult!
Each time I buy a phone I try to find one I want to sell, but it's so hard - I love them all!
I usually manage about a 3:1 buy:sell ratio.
;D

Pourme

You are doing good....I have yet to sell one phone....I can't bring myself to do it.

I got phoneitis really bad!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

tubaman

Clearly my Phoneitis isn't at the chronic stage yet.
I'm sure it'll get there though.
;)