News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

First I Stood In Line 2 1/2 Hours

Started by Craig T, November 07, 2009, 09:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

So they had an estate sale for an old woman who worked at Ma Bell her whole working life. I am thinking WOW! The only unusual thing they had was a wicker chair that she used as an operator, I was not impressed for a $50, maybe I missed the boat. Got there at 6:30 AM, sale started at 9 AM, worse yet I was still 7th in line.

The two phones I had to leave behind made me sick. They were new like out of the box, one of those wide old bakelite Western Electrics and a 354? black wall phone, still hooked up and worked great, I dialed my own house with it. I bothered the heck out of them but no way, the house sold and they went with the house.

Anyhow I escaped with a wicked knot on my head (I will prolly end up like one of those people who drop two days later) and these. They had a nice orange trimline rotary for $7.50, call me spoiled but I do not pay that much for trimlines. They charge by color up here, I kid you not and it grinds me. I do not want to give the impression that is a good price, the one in the box was less than that. Now I will be back on half price day tomorrow of course  :D.

Nice sock in the bottom right hey? I call those my jailbird socks.

Sing It For Me Briny...  ;D

bwanna

how'd ya get the knot on your noggin :(

ps   i swear i am heading north. :o
donna

Craig T

I really like the phone speaker, I have never seen one before. Bring a jacket and a good heater, it is for real up here in the winter. Not so much freezing rain up this way though. Check that Craig list in your area if you do not already, I find more deals there than anywhere.

Greg G.

Quote from: Craig T on November 07, 2009, 09:06:59 PM
So they had an estate sale for an old woman who worked at Ma Bell her whole working life. ... Got there at 6:30 AM, sale started at 9 AM, worse yet I was still 7th in line.

Sing It For Me Briny...  ;D

Uh, hmmm, well, I don't like Trimlines and I already have a wall phone, but tell you what, I hate you for being able to stand for 2 1/2 hours, how's that?  Even if I could, I wouldn't have the patience.  Nor would you catch me getting up that early for anything.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Craig T

I honestly thought I would find a gem there. The other two phones were, but I did not have enough to buy the house  :D. I am not a big fan of trimline phones either Briny, but maybe someone with a phone I want is. In fact I grabbed the other three Trimline phones today at half price day.  Could not agree more with you about the hours either. Hopefully that hit to the head knocked some sense into me.   :D Thanks for checking in.

bingster

That just doesn't make sense for people to leave phones like that in a house.  Do they really think the new buyers are going to be in love with old phones and leave them in place?  They'll almost certainly take one look at those, throw out the "old junk," and replace them with "better" modern phones.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on November 08, 2009, 03:52:43 PM
That just doesn't make sense for people to leave phones like that in a house.  Do they really think the new buyers are going to be in love with old phones and leave them in place?  They'll almost certainly take one look at those, throw out the "old junk," and replace them with "better" modern phones.

Watch the place for new residents and do some dumpster diving when they toss them.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Craig T

Now you are talking guys!  I am bold, I have no problem going up to their door and flat out asking them. I would gladly slide a $100 for the two. These appeared to be the ones (bakelite?) that the cases are known for shrinking and cracking on. She must have had them in a stable temp or whatever, b/c these were uncracked and very clean. I am not a pro yet, but those cord looked original also, they were not modular or anything like that. I have trouble believing they were in regular use all that time. There was no buildup of oils from the hands. No fading from the oils breaking down the first layer of shine. Nicest ones I have come across... it figures.

bellsystemproperty

Be sure you do that, because they probably will throw away those "old pieces of junk". Ask them if you could have them, and perhaps offer to pay them a bit. If you let them get tossed, then you are as guilty as they are for letting them get destroyed.

Seriously, ask them.
;D

Craig T

Well the estate guy said they have to be cleared out by the 12th. So Friday the 13th is gonna be my lucky day I hope!

McHeath

You got some nice finds.  And who knew that the real prizes were going with the house?  That's the thing about estate sales or such, it's a roll of the dice, perhaps you would have been rewarded for that long wait with a mint early Med blue 500 for 20 bucks, you never know. 

Tonyrotary

Craig, I would definitely go back and talk to the new owner. You just might leave with those phones. I mean what are the odds that the new owner is a phone collector?

Craig T

I will go back for sure. I would be willing to take another lump for those two!

Here were the scraps from today. The orange rotary was still there. I know I keep coming with these touchtones, lol. All three have different plates. The one in the middle has the rotary base, but the touchtone phone. It looks identical so must have been one of those transition deals?? All good quality trimline phones.

Anyhow quick shot of the scraps,

Phonesrfun

Craig:

The one in the middle, for sure is a wall phone base, just like the wall phone base on the red rotary.  I was not aware that there was a difference between bases for rotary and touch-tone.  Are you saying it is a rotary base because it looks like the base on the red roarty?

I think you have a phone that is properly matched with the handset.

PS:  I applaud your tenacity.  Go for those other phones and make whatever deals you can.

-Bill G

Craig T

Well looks like I am the GOAT on this one  :-\. That makes simple and good sense, I honestly did not know about the bases  :D. I buy any quality vintage phone. They will sell in a lot and go into the phone piggy bank. I will save the rotary dial trimlines for now, but the touchtones have no hope here. You made a phone dummy a little bit smarter today, thanks!  ;D