News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Happy Birthday Jonathan (jsowers)

Started by Dennis Markham, August 20, 2010, 09:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Happy Birthday, Jonathan, and many Happy Returns!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

jsowers

Thanks, guys, for the birthday wishes.

Dennis, that dark gray 500C turned out to be a nice present to myself. I don't luck up like that very often. It's sitting on my kitchen table at the moment and I admire it every time I walk by and wonder how anyone could ever think it was olive green. It's going to be fun working on it. I attached a shot of it for those who may not have seen it. It was $141.49 counting the shipping.
Jonathan

dsk

WesternElectricBen

Dennis Markham

Happy Birthday, Jonathan!  Wishing you the best for the day and the year ahead.

jsowers

Thanks, Dennis and Ben. I've had a nice day, celebrating with some of my former co-workers from the school system I'm now retired from. This used to be the most hectic time of year when I was working. School is starting back next week here and we were all glad not to be involved!
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Happy Birthday Jonathan!!

While we're on the topic of the Gray 500, any restoration/cleanup progress to report since last year?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JorgeAmely

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PM

While we're on the topic of the Gray 500, any restoration/cleanup progress to report since last year?

I second the status request.
Jorge

dsk

Mr. Bones

Happy belated Birthday, Jonathan!

I hope that your day went well, and was filled with the people and things that you enjoy.

With my very best regards, as always!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

jsowers

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PM

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. At first I was puzzled at what Harry was referring to because I didn't go back and read anything before 2015, but the other replies cleared it up. Hey, I'm 57 years old now, so the memory ain't what it used to be! I can't believe it's been a year since I got that phone.

The status of the dark gray 500C is almost the same as last year, unrestored, but I have moved it to a more featured location on a shelf unit in the living room. I did unkink the coil cord so all the coils go the same direction and dust it off some, but it's still a bit on the grungy and dull side. I was too busy getting ready to host my mom's birthday with the family on the 10th and didn't have time to do more. I'll see what I can do to it and make a separate thread on it later.

I also moved all my soft plastic 554s to the same shelf unit so they would be up off the floor. I still have the wrong handset cord on the dark blue 554. I put it on there before I learned they didn't come with straight gray cords. The 500C is at the top right. I also added a spitcup mouthpiece to my AE50 and a regular earcap (no chrome) so it's exactly like the one Granny Sowers had on the wall for 30 years. The chrome banded caps went to my AE40. See the picture below...
Jonathan

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE_Collector

Quote from: jsowers on August 21, 2015, 11:43:26 AM
Hey, I'm 57 years old now, so the memory ain't what it used to be!

Hey, I'm 58 and I have no idea what you're talking about....literally, not a clue.

Hope you had a great day and I am sure the best part of being retired for you is not having to worry about "back to school"!

Terry

jsowers

Quote from: AE_Collector on August 21, 2015, 08:19:30 PM
Quote from: jsowers on August 21, 2015, 11:43:26 AM
Hey, I'm 57 years old now, so the memory ain't what it used to be!

Hey, I'm 58 and I have no idea what you're talking about....literally, not a clue.

Hope you had a great day and I am sure the best part of being retired for you is not having to worry about "back to school"!

Terry

Terry, I don't really have any short term memory loss, and to be honest I can remember things from childhood that my cousins I grew up with can't, so my memory is fine and I'm sure yours is too. I worked in the IT Dept. and "back to school" often meant musical Principals, as I called it. The Super would swap many of the Principals around to different schools and we would have to setup all their phones and computers at a moment's notice. Some were easy, and then there was the Principal who had every parent's email in her address book and she was switching email programs too. I don't miss that at all and sometimes I have flashbacks thinking about what I used to do under pressure when something was broken. Retirement is wonderful.
Jonathan