News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I've tried everything....

Started by Dan/Panther, January 24, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I've tried everything posted here to try to remove the 3 caps shown in the photo. Short of brute strength, I've exhausted all means to remove them. Are there some that just are not coming apart ?
Any suggestion A, B, Or C ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

D/P....are you using an E1 tool to try to remove the pieces?...Doug
Kidphone

bingster

Have you tried a strap wrench and brute force?  Sometimes the brute force is the only way to go.  I bought an E1 handset a while back that had apparently sat in water, so everything inside was ruined, but the handle and rubber cord were still good, and I wanted to free those parts.  Unfortunately the aluminum had corroded tremendously, and the white chalky corrosion was locking the pieces in place.  Nothing would free the aluminum transmitter cup and plastic spacer--not a strap wrench, not E1 wrenches... nothing.  I finally resorted to a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to literally cut the two pieces off the handle.  I don't think yours will require such drastic measures, but yes, there may be some that just won't come loose.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Well here is an update.
Yes I tried the strap wrench, no go.
I don't have the E1 wrench, but with all of the tools and vises, and clamps and channel locks at my disposal, I'm sure it wouldn't work in this case. Absolutely the most stubborn parts I've come across.
I've used every liquid I can find, including the following.
WD-40, LimeAway, Kroil, Liquid Silicone, Liquid Graphite, Remco, F-21, Armoural, Hot water, Hair dryer.
I had run out of every trick i had ever used, in 35 years as a Millwright/Welder.  Nothing worked.
I took one more look around my shop, and spotted something On the shelf, and thought, well just maybe.
So i took the can down off the shelf, and applied some to the handset parts and let it soak in for awhile.
I then carefully put it back into the chuck of my lathe to hold it as It would be able to hold it steady and tighter than anything else I could come up with. I had used the lathe in all the previous mentioned attempts, but none worked.
So like I said it's now mounted into my lathe chuck, for one last attempt.
below are the results.
The secret ingredient that finally broke down the aluminum corrosion.........

LIGHTER FLUID.
D/P

Phonesrfun

Ahhhh.  I just love the success stories.  Great work.

-Bill
-Bill G

teka-bb

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 24, 2010, 07:08:43 PM
Well here is an update.
I don't have the E1 wrench, but with all of the tools and vises, and clamps and channel locks at my disposal, I'm sure it wouldn't work in this case. Absolutely the most stubborn parts I've come across.
WD-40, LimeAway, Kroil, Liquid Silicone, Liquid Graphite, Remco, F-21, Armoural, Hot water, Hair dryer.
I had run out of every trick i had ever used, in 35 years as a Millwright/Welder.  Nothing worked.
I took one more look around my shop, and spotted something On the shelf, and thought, well just maybe.
So i took the can down off the shelf, and applied some to the handset parts and let it soak in for awhile.
I then carefully put it back into the chuck of my lathe to hold it as It would be able to hold it steady and tighter than anything else I could come up with. I had used the lathe in all the previous mentioned attempts, but none worked.
below are the results.

LIGHTER FLUID.
D/P

Am I a liquid  ???
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Jim Stettler

Quote from: teka-bb on January 24, 2010, 08:17:53 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 24, 2010, 07:08:43 PM
Well here is an update.
below are the results.

LIGHTER FLUID.
D/P

Am I a liquid  ???
I thought you stopped by to lend Dan a hand.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Remco is a liquid penetrating fluid. Comes in a White can with Red letters.
Good stuff, actually prevents rust better than WD-40, but very expensive.
It runs about $10.00 a can the size of regular WD-40.
D/P

Craig T

Glad to hear you got that stubborn cap to come off. I would have never thought of lighter fluid, thanks for the lesson D/P.

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Where can one find the E1 tool.  Now that I have them apart, I think in the future the wrench would be the best way to go.
D/P

Craig T

There is one here D/P. I seen this discussed before but could not find the post. They are not cheap (well not in my nickle and dime world anyway).

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/western-electric-e1-handset-tool-kit.html

Doug Rose

Kind of expensive, but I have had mine for years. It seems to be missing the locking bar that slides between the two arms. I have heard that there was one for the transmitter and one for the receiver, but only I have one and use it on both the transmitter and receiver without any issues. These were also repro'd by an ATCA member about 20 years ago. I use mine, but also display it in my collection with a group of old Bell System tools. It has always opened the most stubborn caps without nicking or chipping the bakelite females.  Maybe it is worth the price, considering a good seamless E1 will run you about the same amount....Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

You make a good point Doug. The money is easier to replace than the handset.

Dan/Panther

I'm going to get to work on that wrench right away.  I can't imagine a tool that simple costing more that $10.00.
$99.00 What a ripoff...I'll post what I make.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Ralph Meyer's book "Old Time Telephones! Technology, Restoration, and Repair"
p 227 (1st ed.)shows a home made jig for removing caps.
page186 2nd edition.

If I was making these jigs I would use a hardwood and pay attention to Grain orientation.

The Jig is a lot simplier to create  than the tools.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.