News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pictures of a 49er.

Started by Greg G., May 15, 2010, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Earlier we discussed the network markings, and wondered if they came later on after the paper labels. Looks like graphics were there from the start, now my question is why did they appear to go away, then come back ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 16, 2010, 12:27:14 AM
Greg;
If you get the chance could you take more photos of as many different angles as is possible ?
It appears to me that the Dial mounting bracket is aluminum, as is the line switch levers
D/P.

Certainly.  Paul F. wants some more pics too, and I think I want to re-shoot a few of the ones I did.  I'll do that sometime soon, otherwise I'll forget.  The wiring of the button was one thing that was mentioned, and also the "equalizer".  I'll also ask about any documentation they have for it and/or prototypes like Dan's.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Okay, this is way impressive!  A real honest to God model 500 from 1949 has been found, tagged and displayed for the world to see.  This forum is amazing.  I recall that someone once said that they figured the first time a 49' model 500 would be found it would be this forum to do it, and so it has come to pass.  And not only a 49', we've seen D/P's unique 500 which now seems to be pretty clearly a pre-production 1948 version!

Great stuff!

I notice that this 49' 500 is mostly like what we see in the early 500s, yet it has those unusual clear plungers with the flat top.  Looks like there was a sticker on the bottom once, and it does not have an actual model number on the bottom either, only the date code.  What was really exciting to see was that all the parts in the handset are dated 49' as well. 

Couple this phone with the pictures that Paul F has put up of various parts of 1949's and we can assume that by late 1st quarter of the year they had finalized the design and were starting to make small numbers of the parts, perhaps even complete phones. 

Dan/Panther

I was very excited to see photos of a 49-500 as I never expected to see one. I really did not think they ever made any, I felt they were part of the 86,000, 1950 models. Well shut my mouth, I was wrong and happy to be so.
Now the real search begins, maybe I can have a 49-500.
D/P

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on May 16, 2010, 02:02:46 AM

I notice that this 49' 500 is mostly like what we see in the early 500s, yet it has those unusual clear plungers with the flat top.   

Actually, the plungers had a round top, they are just a bit worn and look flat in the picture.  That's probably one I'll re-shoot when I get down there.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

What a great find and hidden in plain sight.
I suspect the staff was amused at a group of telephone collectors (straight from a telephone show), made such a big fuss over a black 500 set.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So is this an early production 1949 set (1 of 4,000) ? (West coast trial locations were  LA and San Fransisco).

Or is this a production 1949 that may of been part of the initial shipment?

I don't think it is early Production, mainly because of the turn key. The September base make it later as well.
On the other hand I doubt if the initial shipment of 500 sets had any oddball sets in it. I am guessing they were all basic 500 sets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you check with the staff to see if the had any info pertaining to this set or how they ended up with it. It may of been donated and the donor is still around.

Jim

BTW, I believe I have mentioned in the past that the Washington and Oregon are where the good telephoness hide out.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

I just noticed that BSP Section C32.535 Issue 5 May 1955 AT&T standard has a photo of a 4-49 network It is figure 3 entitled 425A network. figure 4 is a 425B network dated 6-53.

Jim
You live, You learn,

bwanna

exceptional find! & all this time sitting practically in briny's backyard!
donna

Craig T

Great find guys!  Thanks for sharing  :)

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on May 16, 2010, 03:19:57 AM

Did you check with the staff to see if the had any info pertaining to this set or how they ended up with it. It may of been donated and the donor is still around.

Jim

No, but I will when I go back.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Jim;
Some of your points are what popped into my head. I would assume that the initial 4000 sets would be pretty much standard. However if the set went to an executive that required the modification and He/She was important enough to warrant the special set, wouldn't they have accommodated them. Is it a two line switch, and it appears a factory install.
D/P

paul-f

It's probable that the set was an experimental 2-line set.  (Assuming, of course, that the actual wiring proves the theory.)

The bases of early production sets were drilled for the line switch and the housing has the cylinder molded for the switch drill-out.  Variations were in the plan for the 500 from the beginning.

However 2-line capability (the 510) was not announced until 1953.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Paul F. just answered some of my points. but I left them in with commemts.

Dan,
I think the first 4,000 sets were standard, that doesn't mean that the 4,001 set wasn't an oddball. It is also concevable that someone whined loud enough to get a turn key 500 set.( I am with Paul that this is more likely an experimental set). It could of been placed as a trial set with a "whiner".

I think the biggest indicator on if this set was a "special", is if the "boss" hole was drilled or molded. Molded would indicate that this was an early production turn key set, whereas drilled would make it a "special order" set. Some drilled housings are so nicely done that you realley need to study them closely to determine that they were drilled. (Paul indicates that the early housings were drilled, so that shoots down this indicator)

It is possible that all of the early turn key sets were drilled. (Paul says they were and I beleive him)

A turn key set was avaliable on the 302 and this "factory" set has a 302-type turn key.

It would be interesting to check the early BSP's to find out the date of the lucite knobs. (possible around (1953) the time frame of the annouced 2-line sets)
--------------------------------------------------
Briny, next time you play with the phone see if the turn key is also a pushbutton.
-------------------------------------------------
Another thing I have noticed is that the network is the newest date.
The slow rollout of the 500 sets  may of been due to production problems on the networks. This would make since since the network is probably the most complex part to create.
There is about a 5 month difference between the oldest and newest parts on this set.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

Maybe I'll bring a line cord with me to donate, see if they'll let me plug it in.  If I had a straight handset cord to donate, I would.
- Mike Row
e

rp2813

From the looks of the legend on the side of the network it appears to be a bit different from a 1950.  I'm not recalling an "M" terminal on my 10/50.

This is a great discovery, and the forum has managed to answer the question we've all been asking for quite some time about the existence of a 1949 dated 500.

D/P, if any member is going to find a '49 for themselves, I'd wager it's going to be you.
Ralph