News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1938 zinc 302 H1

Started by suhoni56, October 15, 2014, 09:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suhoni56

The fingerwheel of my 1938 H1 302 does not appear to be brass. From what I have read, it should be. Comments?
Susan

TelePlay

What is the date and dial model number stamped on the back of the dial assembly.

This may be a newer dial, a post war dial, or just the finger wheel may have been replaced. The dial information may tell us something.

What are the dates on the internal components - coil, ringer and any other dates. More pictures inside and out would be great.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

suhoni56

All the dates are 1938. Pics can be seen in the Auctions category in my original post titled zinc 302. I will be glad to post again here, but I don't know how you all like the forum to run, and I didn't want to cross-post. Maybe I should have asked my question there (where the pics are)? It has a 5H dial.

------------------

EDIT:  link to original discussion and photos of this phone added

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12803.msg134546#msg134546
Susan

Kenton K

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I prefer brass, I think they are warmer. But aluminum doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, like a post 53 no Z operator dial plate does.

Just my opinion-KK

suhoni56

date pics
Susan

suhoni56

Thanks for your replies. 
It looks like everything else might be original. If it came with a brass fingerwheel, do I want to change it? As you can see in the pic, it is pretty pitted.
Susan

unbeldi

You mentioned that the phone has a 5H dial.  Is that what the stamp says?
The switch assembly on that dial however, is a No.4 assembly, from what I see on this picture.  It is known that some 5H dials came with No.4 switch stacks.

I am not sure you should expect a brass finger wheel anymore on a No. 5 dial.  Some time in the late 30s they started replacing them, and it may be another transitional feature.

suhoni56

Yes, the stamp says 5H
Susan

mentalstampede

What's the date on the dial plate?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

suhoni56

The date on the back of dial is I 38. Pictured above.
Susan

poplar1

Quote from: suhoni56 on October 16, 2014, 11:22:35 AM
The date on the back of dial is I 38. Pictured above.

I believe he is asking for the date on the porcelain number plate, which is visible if you remove the finger wheel with a 7/16" socket. The number plate appears to be later than I 38, since it is enamel rather than celluloid. Most likely it is dated between III 40 and II 53.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

suhoni56

Thanks, I did not know that. I will lok for that date.
Susan

mentalstampede

Yeah, that's the date I'm looking for. The fingerwheel may have been changed at that same time.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

suhoni56

I hope your patience doesn't wear thin teaching a Newbie like me!

Thanks...

Your knowledge is more than impressive!!!!!
Susan