News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Signal Corps TP-6A, or "How would you like your toast?"

Started by Phonesrfun, July 12, 2010, 01:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Here's the finished product.  I really like the look of black on these old phones, so I stayed with the original color.  Mfd 1949, but other than the scratches, the inside of the phone was very clean, and even the cords seemed original.  The dial plate didn't have a mark on it.  The Conn. handset was very light and flimsy.  Seems like the military would have specified a better handset.  The dial center says it belongs to "BLDG S-249" - wonder if there is any way to find out which government site this phone belonged to.
Dave

Doug Rose

Quote from: wds2185 on September 23, 2010, 02:20:59 PM
Here's the finished product.  I really like the look of black on these old phones, so I stayed with the original color.  Mfd 1949, but other than the scratches, the inside of the phone was very clean, and even the cords seemed original.  The dial plate didn't have a mark on it.  The Conn. handset was very light and flimsy.  Seems like the military would have specified a better handset.  The dial center says it belongs to "BLDG S-249" - wonder if there is any way to find out which government site this phone belonged to.
Really nice paint job. I had to go back in the thread to see if you painted or it was original. Well done!....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Looks good! Nice job Dave! I am still waiting to get mine back from the painter, next one I think I will do myself :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

HarrySmith

Finally got my phone back from the painter :D
Unfortunately I am going to have to give it back to him as it is a very poor job >:(
Hopefully he can wet sand & buff out the defects :-\
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

Harry, is the problem drips and runs, or just an over-all "orange peel" texture to the paint?  (I can't really tell from the photographs.)  Also, as much as I love the lavender/purple color, I think it might look better with a darker/deeper purple (just my personal preference, honestly.)

HarrySmith

The problem is both, couple of runs & some orange peel. I asked for a brighter purple, I did not want a dark color.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

Both of those "defects" are caused by poor painting techniques.  Runs, drips, sags are caused by over-application (typically a rookie mistake, ask me how I know  :D ) and orange peel is caused by a number of different factors, all related to the individual doing the paint mixing and shooting.  Seeing as how it was a "favor from a friend", I can understand you might be reluctant.  Maybe if you offered him a few bucks to strip it down and re-do it, he *might* do a better job?  It never hurts to ask, he might think you can't honestly tell the difference.

HarrySmith

Been a while but I got my phone repainted and back together. This was my first dial, I completely disassembled it and cleaned eveerything while the case was getting painted. It works! I took a few pictures but they all came out looking blue not matter hpw I lit it. This was the only one that looked close to the actual purple color.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Adam

Cool color!  Very retro!  :)

For pic color problem, did you try taking the pic in daylight as opposed to using a flash?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

HarrySmith

I will try it outside this weekend when I will be home during daylight. Thanks for the tip :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"