"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Most desired BSP..

Started by Dan/Panther, June 18, 2010, 06:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come in Nighthawk

Quote from: McHeath on June 22, 2010, 01:22:22 AM
The seller e-mailed me back and said that he had a price quote of 500 dollars from Staples to scan it to disk and he thought that was too much. 

snip>

Sell the digital scans for $50 each, lots of us suckers would pony up for that I'm guessing, and the seller could have kept this Golden Goose laying eggs for a long time.

"I" would buy a CD copy for as much as $100!!  At that point, he'd get his 500 bux back in just five discs...  And get a ton of bux over time.  Since the seller wasn't interested in such a deal maybe the buyer is reading this and he/she will take it up??   ???

Being new to this hobby, I guess I don't understand all its nuances...  ::)

Dan/Panther

Quote from: McHeath on June 22, 2010, 01:22:22 AM
The seller e-mailed me back and said that he had a price quote of 500 dollars from Staples to scan it to disk and he thought that was too much. 

Guess that's a matter of perspective eh?  Since he made 2,234 dollars on the sale, investing 500 to have more copies of it to sell seems a win/win to me.  Sell the digital scans for $50 each, lots of us suckers would pony up for that I'm guessing, and the seller could have kept this Golden Goose laying eggs for a long time.

McHeath;
That is pretty much what he told me also. I wrote back and told him he has let a golden opportunity slip through his hands, and we as collectors have most likely lost the opportunity to own a copy of this BSP for quite some time.
I understand the seller is editor of the ATCA newletter. Does the ATCA already have this BSP in there Archives ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

I am not speaking for John Huckeby, but if I sold something for $2500 and then kept copies of what I sold, to sell again; it might be a tad unethical.

If I shelled out $2500 for the "ultimate BSP" and then found the seller made copies of what he sold me and was selling them at a fraction of what I paid for it; I might be more than a tad pissed off...just my two cents....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
The other side of the coin..............
The buyer has the BSP, he can do the same thing.. Free enterprise, capitalism at it's best.
So because of one-up-manship, we as a collective body of telephone collectors  loose out.

So what did the buyer buy the BSP for, Bragging rights, let it sit on some shelf, for no one ever to see.. I don't understand that mentality, I don't get it???

How would it have been if I had told everyone I had found the D#177001, and posted a photo, then just stopped posting about it or answering questions. I thought a hobby was about Sharing, and edifying fellow collectors.

D/P

McHeath

QuoteI am not speaking for John Huckeby, but if I sold something for $2500 and then kept copies of what I sold, to sell again; it might be a tad unethical.

If I shelled out $2500 for the "ultimate BSP" and then found the seller made copies of what he sold me and was selling them at a fraction of what I paid for it; I might be more than a tad pissed off...just my two cents....Doug

I understand those points.  But we make copies of valued items all the time, I have a Van Gogh on my wall, and I enjoy it, but it's just a cheap copy that does not threaten the value of the original.  (If I were trying to pass it off as original that's another matter)

Doug Rose

I would like a copy of it myself, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Kidphone

Come in Nighthawk

You know, something was nagging me and I suddenly remembered I was 'watching' a BSP collection that was auctioned about a month ago.  Having just started in this hobby with a single instrument at that point I was simply trying to learn what these BSP collections might go for --- and to discover if "I," as a mere mortal, might ever nab one?  Or if they would prove to be "too rich for my blood" as the saying goes...  :D

Well, item # 230480835470 sold for a lot of cash (though not for over two grand, that time).  Still, it shocked me.  Until this laterst sale you-all have pointed out shocked me even more!!   ::)
???

Telstar

You just CANNOT buy a BSP for a realistic price on eBay right now.  The price wars are insane and somewhat discouraging. Another smaller BSP dealing with 1950's phones just sold yesterday for over $500!!! The same buyer, na***** has purchased yet another BSP. Maybe the forum could have a old time club member who has an extensive chronological BSP library look into getting an estimate to having a transfer done to CD and then sell to forum members. Speaking as a new member, it would be nice to have this available to the new folks who are just getting interested in the hobby.

Russ Kirk

I have an idea.

Rather than someone else making a buck selling BSPs,  why not offer the scanned docs for free to everyone? 
This may reduce the greed and reduce prices for hard copies.

TCI has a large library and it is growing all the time. 

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Come in Nighthawk

Quote from: Russkirk on June 30, 2010, 10:58:43 AM
I have an idea.

Rather than someone else making a buck selling BSPs,  why not offer the scanned docs for free to everyone? 
This may reduce the greed and reduce prices for hard copies.

TCI has a large library and it is growing all the time. 

Russ....

Well, to have a sizable collection scanned "professionally" WOULD take a bit of cash.  "I" however would be willing to donate to a fund for such a purpose so long as a) I got a FREE copy of the CD (or set of CDs) which resulted, and b) any forum member (especially future members, but I'd go so far as even those who are members now and couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't donate to the fund) only had to pay the cost of the CD (what, fifty cents?), and shipping to get a copy.  Call it my "good deed" and  the right to turn my cub scout bobcat badge right-side up!!  ;D
:)

cihensley@aol.com

Having scanned over 400 BSPs for the site, I pretty much know what is on the TCI site. There are few exceptions to finding any BSP a collector needs. If you find you need a BSP you cannot find on the site, posting a request on the TCI list serve will usually result in someone scanning it for the site. Many collectors only scan when there is a request. To Paul-f's point, we have been scanning different issues of the same BSP to track changes over time. I am not aware of what was in the collection Huckaby sold, but I doubt that many of the individual BSPs are not already on the TCI site. The telephone archives site is another good source of BSPs. You can download all of the BSPs on the TCI site and mirror them on a CD if you want a personal collection.

Chuck

Dan/Panther

Paul/Chuck;
Would you post a link one more time for TCI members that would like to search the archives of the available BSP's.
D/P

Come in Nighthawk

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 30, 2010, 12:58:31 PM
Paul/Chuck;
Would you post a link one more time for TCI members that would like to search the archives of the available BSP's.
D/P

Yes pls.  Especially for we "newbies."

As to the BSPs, I have in fact found a few by following breadcrumb trails here (this time I will BOOOOOK-mark the libraries ;D ) and one thing I have NEVER found, which would be REALLY useful for someone like me who is not a "wire-head," is a set of clear "exploded diagrams" like the ones "bingster" colorized in making his VERY helpful "W.E. 102 & 202 telephone wiring diagrams" thread @ http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0

Can someone point directly to the BSPs that have those and similar -- as for example diagrams like that for the E-1 handset, and for the 534, 584, 634 and 684 series of subsets? ??? 

Please?  :D

teka-bb

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 30, 2010, 12:58:31 PM
Paul/Chuck;
D/P

Hello Dan,

Besides the ones on my site I have a few links to BSP sources on my site:

http://sc.infc.info/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=2

A fellow collector will send me several GB of BSP's next week. I will make them available on my site.

There are more BSP's coming that will be added to my site in the near future.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

HarrySmith

Here is a link to the TCI library:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/DocumentLibrary/index.htm

As to clear, easy to read wiring diagrams from the phone co, I do not think they exist!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"