News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I can't seem to find a mushroom, so I guess I'll make one!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, August 05, 2014, 04:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

In the past few weeks, I noticed that my 'parts' stash was going from clean and organized phone parts on a shelf to piles of odds-and-ends scattered on the floor in front of it. The vast majority of this stuff is faded ITT/SC/NT parts from the '80s that I have no use for, since my collection is based on Western Electric phones.

I've also been longing for a mushroom for months now, ever since a white one in soft plastic slipped between my fingers on eBay (previous disscussion here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11128.msg118919#msg118919).

I decided to combine these two problems, to make a mushroom out of unwanted phone parts in my basement. So far, the parts are as follows:

1957 WE C/D chassis (ringer, base, network)
1954 WE dial
1967 WE dial bezel (white)
1970 WE housing (black)
1966 WE handset (black)
1980s SC lift (white)
1980s NT handset caps (white and beige)
1970s/80s SC handset cord (white)
1966 line cord; 6 conductor (white)
2 line knob and terminal strip (for dial light switch)

I also ordered a repro mushroom light hood in white, as well as buying some white paint from Rust-Oleum that should really work well in coating the plastic parts (other than the dial bezel).

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 500U that I can use for this project?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

By the way, pictures of the project so far will come soon!
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Christian,

Currently, I'm building a second mushroom phone, in white. I got a P/U base at lancaster, as well as a 500 Y body, and so far is its going well. I just need to do the peroxide treatment on the handset and dial plate and it should be perfect. You can view the first part of my build here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF8k1Y0ja8U.

Do you have the receptacle that the mushroom cap hooks into, they are quite hard to find. I used a 3/4 foristner bit on my press to bore the switch hole, but I think the light hole may be harder, but I cannot recall.

Although, I don not have a wiring diagram, it's quite simple, I don't have one though. Basically, it's like hooking up a lamp.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 05, 2014, 05:06:17 PM
Christian,

Currently, I'm building a second mushroom phone, in white. I got a P/U base at lancaster, as well as a 500 Y body, and so far is its going well. I just need to do the peroxide treatment on the handset and dial plate and it should be perfect. You can view the first part of my build here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF8k1Y0ja8U.

Although, I don not have a wiring diagram, it's quite simple, I don't have one though. Basically, it's like hooking up a lamp.

Ben
This is a common C/D base, which I forgot to mention. I just need to know where to hook up the conductors from the switch, and where to connect the conductors for the light (I don't have one yet).
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Watch my video, most likely you will be able to spot the terminal strip mounted under the dial, and the wiring. Hopefully, you will be able to see how to wire it.

Start watching from around: 5:55

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 05, 2014, 05:25:26 PM
Watch my video, most likely you will be able to spot the terminal strip mounted under the dial, and the wiring. Hopefully, you will be able to see how to wire it.

Ben
Thanks for telling me about the video! I was able to connect the black and white line cord conductors to the terminal strip.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Do you still need a diagram, I can probably draw one when I get home, if necessary.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 05, 2014, 05:53:19 PM
Do you still need a diagram, I can probably draw one when I get home, if necessary.

Ben
It's fine, I can probably find info on it somewhere else. Does anyone know the difference between a U and a P/U?
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

Where did you order the Mushroom cap from? One of the ATCA members used to make them but I am not sure if he still does.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Harry,

I think Richard Rose makes them, but for 40 dollars. Edit: Dennis posted the correct name, not RR.

Ben

Dennis Markham

The man that makes the reproduction caps is John LaRose.  This is his e-mail address:

jhlarose@hotmail.com

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 05, 2014, 08:34:10 PM
Where did you order the Mushroom cap from? One of the ATCA members used to make them but I am not sure if he still does.
I got it from Old Phone Shop, not to be confused with Old Phone Works. They sell them for $49, in black or white.

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/500-set-mushroom-light-cover.html
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here are the pictures of this phone a week or so ago. Since then, I've painted the handset and caps white, and installed an ITT 2 line switch and terminal strip. With the help of my dad's drill press, he cut a hole in the correct spot for the switch, and I sanded the edges of the hole down smooth. Thanks to the wiring diagram Poplar1 provided, we can start wiring it up pretty soon. Notice that the handset caps are different colors, they looked more pronounced in person.
Christian Petterson