Jim Stettler

Here is an Auction for 2 302's 1 clear, 1 black
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162342431251

I haven't studied the auction yet.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

The "World's Fair" set. Has the same housing as this clear set. My small plunger housing is cast a bit differently and has a solid metal "grip" instead of a vented grip.

JMO,
Jim S.
World's fair set auction photos at this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16949
You live, You learn,

TelePlay

The black "Bakelite" phone sold in Auction Contest #106 on 10/26/13 without the handset for $2,672. Still has the white mark on the bottom of the base.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10335.0

Dan/Panther

Is that clear an original or repro. Didn't the repros come without the indent for the hold button, on purpose to point out that it was a repro ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 03, 2017, 12:27:42 PM
Is that clear an original or repro. Didn't the repros come without the indent for the hold button, on purpose to point out that it was a repro ?
D/P

Did Ray make any with small plungers? In any case, this clear housing appears quite different from the production 302 housings. And the phone has the Bell Labs serial number 7009.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

The clear 302 is a manual set with short plungers. I do not think it is Rays. I own a Koke original and I think the manual set is real. Along with the Bakelite 302, it is not a bad price.

Remco ..the museum wants this!.....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

I think the clear is the set that sold in an auction contest recently. They replaced the dial with a weird blank. No, this is different. Interesting, the code on the bottom is 7009. The previous contest was 7011. Could they have been built almost side-by-side?

Probably a deal out there for someone...not me! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 03, 2017, 12:27:42 PM
D/P
Ray told me left it out  so you could tell the difference. I pointed out that not all the sets had the indent. My small plunger housing does not.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: poplar1 on January 03, 2017, 02:16:46 PM
Did Ray make any with small plungers? In any case, this clear housing appears quite different from the production 302 housings. And the phone has the Bell Labs serial number 7009.
Ray did not make any clear small plunger sets. Until the auction with the 1939 clear small plunger 302, the only one I knew of was my housing.
This housing appears to be cast the same as the 1939 set. My housing is a bit different.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

I just noticed the one on eBay did not have the hold button recess, and just thought I would point it out.
So this would be the ONLY one without the recess ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 03, 2017, 02:49:19 PM
I think the clear is the set that sold in an auction contest recently. They replaced the dial with a weird blank. No, this is different. Interesting, the code on the bottom is 7009. The previous contest was 7011. Could they have been built almost side-by-side?

Probably a deal out there for someone...not me! ;D
This one has a 1937 coil, #7011 was 1939.

I suspect the 1939 one was probably a "World's Fair" set. However, I also suspect that the worlds fair sets weren't all alike. I do think the differences  are contained in  this chart
http://vintagephone.com/HB302.htm

JMO,
Jim S.

I think Bell Labs used the Fair to run  tests on the 302 set they probably ran them thru a standard testing procedure each evening after the fair closed.  Just speculation on my part
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 03, 2017, 05:59:03 PM
I just noticed the one on eBay did not have the hold button recess, and just thought I would point it out.
So this would be the ONLY one without the recess ?

D/P
The clear small plunger sets don't seem to. The black small plungers probably don't. I wonder if the pre-war sets had it?
I do think that once it was added, it was standard on all the 302 housings.

These are just my opinions,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I have seen a 1936 "F" handset on a small plunger set.
The handset disassembled like an "E" handset.

I suspect they may of made a clear "F" of this style for some of the world's Fair sets.

More Speculation,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Doug Rose

The listing has ended, someone owns this great set (s). I do think the manual dial blank was real and not a recreation. It had two slots for a nickel retainer ring.

Too rich for me, but the clear manual set is just amazing!! The bakelite set as well, but the clear set...oh my....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 03, 2017, 06:17:45 PM
The listing has ended, someone owns this great set (s). I do think the manual dial blank was real and not a recreation. It had teo hole for a nickel retainer clip. Too rich for me, but the clear manual set is just amazing!! The bakelite set as well, but the clear set...oh my....Doug
I agree with Doug about the dial blank. I do think this clear one was a prototype and the 1939 clear set was a World's fair set.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,