News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I've drilled the lock on a phone..

Started by 302w, May 28, 2018, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

302w

First things first, this is my first post here and I'm a phone newb. I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I have two Western Electric payphones and I attempted to drill the lock on one. To say the least, this was an unwise decision. I don't have much hope of getting into the case at this point. What should I do?

Key2871

Well you will have to dig out all the lock innards, locate the bolt slide and try to move it into the lock so you can then use a T key to release the secondary lock on the upper housing.
It's hard to say just what that would entail. Maybe setting the phone on its right side so lock parts fall out. You may have to drill a small divot, or hole into the bolt to get something in it to let you slide the bolt.
KEN

302w

Do you have a thru section or parts diagram illustrating the lock?

Key2871

I don't, however if you got to western electric payphones, and look under locks and keys you may be able to find something. Another is to look at electronic locks post. It shows a lock opened up, and you can see the bolt that needs to be moved so the T key will unlock that part so you can remove the upper housing.
KEN

Payphone installer

I feel like a broken record don't drill W/E locks they were designed not to be drilled. And vibration won't work either. Why because on the money box locks the screws hit the box before they are threaded all the way out. On the upper housing you always damage the phone with a drill, please never use a drill. Now that that  phone is drilled look inside the lock for the leafs they are small copper or brass thin pieces. Grab them or pry them out you may still be able to grab the bolt. Problem is when you drill you cut the bolt off and then it pushes into the phone and locks it tighter. This is by design,that is why you do not drill it. Drilling it destroys the pieces you need to grab to pull it out. Pull all the leafs you can out if you don't see that bolt if they are all pulled out and you still can't see the bolt drop the phone on its back and see if the bolt might fall back into the lock housing. If all this fails the housing is toast get a cutting tool and cut a square out of the upper housing on the right front until you see the lock and use a allen to remove it. I have new old stock housing in the box with the bell logo if you need one.

Dan F

Internal of WE payphone lock

Payphone installer

All the copper leafs you see in this picture must be removed. Push a screw driver up there and just keep prying the parts out. They all hsve to come out.

Quote from: Payphone installer on May 29, 2018, 09:01:41 PM
If all this fails the housing is toast get a cutting tool and cut a square out of the upper housing on the right front until you see the lock and use a allen to remove it. I have new old stock housing in the box with the bell logo if you need one.

I believe this is what Payphone Installer is talking about.

HarrySmith

All the pieces at the end of the arrow need to be removed then you should be able to move the bolt.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

302w

All,

I just have to say, with your help, I was able to take the front case off!

I'm sure a long saga awaits me still..

HarrySmith

Congratulations. The first step is complete. Isn't this forum great? Where else would you get all this help and information on something like this for free!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

302w

It is great!

Now the next three questions are...

The tag inside says key number MMSXL8. Can I affordably buy a new lock with key keyed to that? I have another phone that lived next to this one. I imagine they are keys alike, no?

What is the easiest way to get this phone working again? Splice the existing phone line coming in?

302w

Hooray, it works! It was way more simpler than I had first thought.

It turns out the aforementioned keycode was for the cash box which is long gone. I have the lock and key though.

Now I need a 29A46 lol