News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Could someone advise me?

Started by ntophones, November 03, 2009, 03:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

I am thinking of trying to restore a D1 WE phone. There are several on EBAY. I'm not very good at the auctions.
But, could someone look at these phones, and tell me if you think they are good tries?
Thanks, nto
EBAY item #150384055290
EBAY item # 230393425408
EBAY item #360203923416

I accidentally posted this in the Collector's section. I'm sorry. I tried to delete it there, but, couldn't. I'm very sorry for the double post.
--nto

bingster

Personally, I'd try for the first one, and let the other two go. Here's why:

The first one (150384055290) is complete with a dial.  The dial plate is an old one, with the squared letters, which marks it as being from the mid 1930s or earlier.  If the plate is original to the phone, then the dial is probably a #4 dial, which is worth between $50 and $75 by itself.  The handset is also complete (as opposed to the handset on the third phone which needs parts).

The second one (230393425408) has no dial, so you'd have to buy a dial for it if you wanted to use it regularly.  It's also attached to an odd subset, which looks like a North subset to me.  No big deal, as I'm sure it works in that setup, but it's such an odd thing, that coupled with the need for a dial, it makes the phone undesirable to me personally.

The third phone (360203923416) also needs a dial, and also needs a transmitter cap, and seamless caps aren't cheap.  The particular transmitter that's fitted to this one is the original type, which is well known for it's poor quality sound reproduction.  The transmitter is more rare than the later type, but it's up to you to decide whether you want rarity or good sound quality. 

So all in all, I'd choose the first one, if you're going to be restoring one.  Be aware, though, that you'll need a subset to use this phone, but a nice one can be had for around $50.
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Thanks, Bingster!
That's what I was thinking, though I didn't know about the transmitter.
If I am very lucky, and hold my tongue just right, I'll get the first one! I'll let you know and I'll need help with a refurbish!. I can't wait....though so far, I've never gotten anything off EBAY.
nto
--nto

bingster

We're playing tag. :P

I think you'll be happy with the first one.  It looks like it MIGHT need repainting (it's hard to tell because of the single photo), but if you're restoring, then that's not a big deal.
= DARRIN =

ntophones

--nto