News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do real candlestick phonesound good today?

Started by Robert Gift, January 12, 2023, 10:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

Most stuff from across the Pacific is chintzy and non-repairable.  What IS good from over there they keep for themselves.  Now across the Atlantic, their consumer electronics are probably better. 

Mike

shadow67

Also keep in mind that old candlestick transmitters should be oriented in a vertical position when speaking into them, otherwise the carbon granules will settle the wrong way. Also you need to speak with your mouth pretty close to the mouthpiece. Sometimes the granules can clump together so lightly tapping the transmitter on a table or other surface can loosen them. I love using my candlestick phones and while you may not be able to hear a pin drop, they can provide perfectly acceptable communication, at least from my personal experience.  :)

BDM

Interesting topic. I'm lucky, when I first made attempts to use CS telephones in the 80s (I had at least 7 various models), I spoke to my grandfather often with several, and he was born in the very early 1900s. I asked him about the sound quality, and he would comment how the sound quality reminded him of the 20s/30s when using these types of phones or speaking to someone with one.

They may not have been exactly like they were new, but I doubt a good working CS phone is far off from the sound quality it was like when new. At least my grandfather didn't think so, and he did have an excellent memory
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

MMikeJBenN27

He might be correct, as those CS phones were, at least in some cases, much cheapened compared to the "regular" versions that the phone company would install, and cheaper is seldom as good for the user, just more profitable for the manufacturer.

Mike