News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 503CM

Started by Sargeguy, March 06, 2011, 06:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I just won one on eBay for (Item number:290539710753) what is it?  A phone with an off switch?  I can;t seem to copy the photos or I'd post them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

Heres a photo and a link to the auction

http://tinyurl.com/4fyrkhx
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Here is what Paul-F's site says"

"Single line used with Data-Phone equipment, with exclusion key."

From what has been said about commercial applications, this is consistent with the gray color.
-Bill G

paul-f

For details, search for 503cm in the TCI Library.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

I already looked it up when I first bid, but since I don't have any DATA-PHONE equipment or a second line, can the switch be used to disable the phone, say when I don't want to be disturbed?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Sure.  Any phone with exclusion can use the contacts in the switch for numerous functions -- many of which are described in the BSPs for sets like the 502.

One set of contacts could easily be wired in series with either L1 or L2 to disable the line completely, or with the ringer, to disable it.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

Super.   Now I can just turn it on when I am expecting calls ;D
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

GG

I take it you mean "wire the exclusion key to disconnect the entire set," thereby enabling leaving it off the hook in the disconnected condition.  Otherwise, disconnecting the ringer doesn't make much difference if one leaves the handset off the hook ; - )

That's a very clever mod, because seeing the handset off the hook is a natural cue to hang it up again, which will push the exclusion key back down and put it back online.  (Compared to a turn-button, which requires a moment's attention, otherwise "Hmm, I wonder why I haven't gotten any calls today?")

Sargeguy

The phone arrived today.  The exclusion key disables the entire phone.  This was done so that the user could activate the modem or whatever DATA-PHONE device they used without interference from the phone.  It works great if you want to have a phone that you can turn on and off eith the flick of a switch.  Too bad its faded.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409