"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Zombie Dave's new addiction.

Started by Zombie Dave, March 17, 2018, 09:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Dave

Quote from: FabPhones on July 12, 2018, 07:57:25 AM
I like it, nice phone, bargain price too. Great find.

I'd been collecting (GPO) phones for decades - I only had 10 when I found this site.
Over 50 now...

General Post Office? I was unsure what GPO was and searched it.

Zombie Dave

Adding this one.  Just got it functioning today.  WE 5302

HarrySmith

Nice. I have a couple of 5302's, I think they are one of Western Electric's coolest ideas!
I can imagine the installer at a customers house:
You don't like your "old" model 302? The "new" 500 model is in short supply but, here you go, just like the 500. Enjoy your "new" phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

The first phone we had when I was growing up was a 5302 with a bakelite G handset.
When It needed service they replaced it with a 500 set that had a plastic handset.
The weight of the handset was the most notcible change.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Agreed...I have two 5302's and they are a very cool looking phone, i appreciate their place in WE history!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Zombie Dave

I'm really enjoying it. To me it has a lighter ring compared to a 500 and hopefully the ringer is original or what it would have been replaced with.  I started this *coughaddictioncough* collection with simply wanting an old rotary phone that I could use. Just one phone. Had no desire to collect them....until I saw a video on youtube. From that and the fact there is actually a forum and other people that collect them turned me into a collector.

I've been into countless hobbies and collected numerous items. Some I've physically been able to use and enjoyed while others ended up on a shelf.

I really enjoy being able to use and making calls and hearing them ring. The ring part is usually just one person calling and that's my wife so I wish that would happen more often. I'ts an enjoyable none the less.

FABphones

Quote from: Zombie Dave on July 19, 2018, 09:38:25 AM
..Just one phone. Had no desire to collect them....until I saw a video on youtube. From that and the fact there is actually a forum and other people that collect them...

I have never met anyone who collects phones. I have never spoken to anyone who collects phones.

I happily picked up the odd phone over the years, walked away from several and kept my collection small and under control. I only bought immaculate phones ready for display. I never even opened one. Each of my phones were used, and rotated on and off the shelf as the fancy took me.

Then, earlier this year, I bought a totally wrecked phone that took my interest as a rescue project, a Muraphone. It really was in bad condition, destined for parts at best. I was looking up some restoration info and found this site. One phone turned into three phones. Three into - well, lots. And the rest is history.

I'm not new to phone collecting (far from it), but I am fairly new to this site.

And I am now totally addicted to buying phones that need work. I particularly love finding really dull grubby old Bakelite phones with the aim of bringing them back to almost new.

:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Agreed. I really enjoy finding an old nasty dirty non-working phone and bringing it back to life! If you have not looked yet check out our "Notable Refurbs" topic. Some amazing rescues there!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: Zombie Dave on July 19, 2018, 09:38:25 AM
I'm really enjoying it. To me it has a lighter ring compared to a 500 and hopefully the ringer is original or what it would have been replaced with. 

It should have the same B1A ringer as a 302 has, except that it probably has an external "LOUD" lever to adjust the ringer volume. 5302s were "conversions" made from 302s returned from service: a new housing was installed to make the set resemble a 500.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

The "LOUD" adjustment lever is installed in the bottom vent. One gong is mounted on it and it moves the gong away from or closer to the striker. The original ringer is used and the arm the gong was mounted on is bent to make room for the adjuster. I have seen a few 5302's without the lever. I do not know if it was done that way, maybe left out by the installer trying to finish quickly or removed by a previous owner.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 19, 2018, 11:42:10 AM
The "LOUD" adjustment lever is installed in the bottom vent. One gong is mounted on it and it moves the gong away from or closer to the striker. The original ringer is used and the arm the gong was mounted on is bent to make room for the adjuster. I have seen a few 5302's without the lever. I do not know if it was done that way, maybe left out by the installer trying to finish quickly or removed by a previous owner.

As far as I know, the conversions were done in the Western Electric distributing houses, never by the installer/repairman in the field. The ones that do not have a ringer adjuster are the non-Bell ones that were assembled by independent refurbishers. These have housings without "Bell System" on the logo.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

OK, cool. Thanks for the clarification. I figured someone was just being lazy!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Zombie Dave

Quote from: poplar1 on July 19, 2018, 11:38:09 AM
It should have the same B1A ringer as a 302 has, except that it probably has an external "LOUD" lever to adjust the ringer volume. 5302s were "conversions" made from 302s returned from service: a new housing was installed to make the set resemble a 500.

Oh! Very cool! I really like the history of these phones and the how and why.

Zombie Dave

Quote from: poplar1 on July 19, 2018, 12:39:18 PM
As far as I know, the conversions were done in the Western Electric distributing houses, never by the installer/repairman in the field. The ones that do not have a ringer adjuster are the non-Bell ones that were assembled by independent refurbishers. These have housings without "Bell System" on the logo.

By housings are you referring to the case? Sorry, I'm still learning all the lingo and abbreviations. Happen to have a picture of the logo?

HarrySmith

Yes, the housing is the body of the phone, or case. The logo is molded into the back of the housing by the fingerhold area.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"