News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cutting our own throats.

Started by Dan/Panther, March 04, 2009, 02:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I understand the need in auctions, to have questions answered, to help us better decide on what we feel an item is worth.
What I do not understand, and kinda wish everyone would reconsider before continuing the practice is this..........
Contacting otherwise uninformed sellers to let them know "You have a very rare Phone here", and then go on to point out all the selling points to the seller, so they can update their auctions to make the price go up by 1000%.
People think before you contact sellers, maybe you don't want or need the item, but maybe someone else is looking for a bargain.

That's about as 'rant' as I get.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

I'm always careful about questions.  In fact, I'm even hesitant to ask for such simple things as dial model markings for fear the answer will be posted and drive up the price.

On the other hand, I wish somebody had sent the seller of the green 500 with the grey cords a message that BIN offers would come flying in, and that they should be disregarded.  I've actually sent such messages before.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Dan, I agree to a degree.  I like to keep the auction low-key and only ask questions that will keep me from buying something I don't want.  The smart seller will post those questions and then it opens it up for the world to see.  I think some potential buyers may tell a seller that he/she has something unusual in order to have a fair shot at the item--to avoid exactly what happened with the green phone where the auction is ended because of an offer the seller thinks exceeds what he was expecting.  I guess "All's fair in love and war---and telephones".

If I ask a seller if the cord is green or gray, what number dial is in the phone, are the feet leather, how many holes in the cap, etc., it's so I know what I'm getting.  I hope that the information will stay between the two of us, and often it does, but many times it opens the door for other bidders.  I know that many times I have done the "work" for the person that ultimately wins the auction.

On some occasions, like with the green Continental I recently bought, no words were exchanged because the seller posted photos that showed me what I wanted to know without having to ask.

Dan/Panther

Questioned that are asked are fine.
It's the ones where someone not wanting the item, will go on to describe to the seller exactly what they have.
Recently a D-1 with missing parts was relisted, after someone told them what they had, and was listed in the new listing with a thank you.
D/P

McHeath

I never tell anyone they have a rare phone.  In this day and age if the seller can't be bothered to do a little online research and figure that out then so be it, in my thoughts. 

Sometimes I do ask questions about dates or feet or something, but I don't ever give away the potential value.  After all I'm not an expert, what do I know? 

Other than if it's a 1949 model 500 it's probably rare.
:D

Sargeguy

I am a cagey SOB.  I don't ask questions unless absolutely necessary and only then in the last few hours.  Sometimes you have to make a leap of faith without asking any questions.  I use the "watch" feature for really interesting stuff that has no bids.  Another tip is to look at the auctions that seem too high at first.  They may contain some nice phones.  I have gotten some nice phones that way for the listing price.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

Bottom line. If I can get a nice example of a phone I want. Valuable or not. I simply not going to blow it by stating that fact. It's a hobby collection after all. I'm not talking little old ladies out of there retirement check.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Another hard spot I find myself in, is when I run across something I already have, and want to let others know about it. I wonder if maybe someone else already has their eye on it, and is playing low key for a snipe. I list it here, and blow it for them.
D/P

HobieSport

Yeah, I've mentioned a couple of phones here that I wasn't interested in, but thought someone else here might be interested in.  My bad, and I don't do that anymore.  I'd send a PM instead.  Also, I'm really careful with my questions to sellers, and try to keep them private. 8)

Dan

How do you keep your ?'s to sellers private? I always end up uncovering value for everyone else to see.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

Quote from: Dan on March 07, 2009, 08:12:39 PM
How do you keep your ?'s to sellers private? I always end up uncovering value for everyone else to see.

Well there's no guarantee, but I try to make my questions low key and un-interesting, and for me anyway, the seller often doesn't bother posting the questions or answers on Ebay.  "Any chips or cracks?"  "Any markings on the base?"  Questions like that.  I often don't ask questions at all, and take a risk.  I've ended up with some good inexpensive parts phones that way, if nothing else.

Dennis Markham

The sellers control what questions/answers get posted by checking a box when they respond.  Interesting how a negative answer doesn't get posted but a positive one does.  A veteran eBay seller, I have found posts replies to questions.  Maybe because they don't want to answer the same question 6 times.  Someone who knows phones will answer the questions before they're asked. 

bingster

It's funny, as a seller, I always post questions from potential buyers, but as a buyer, I always hope my questions don't get posted.

One thing that might help is not ask questions, but ask for extra photos to be e-mailed to you.  For example, if you want to know if that 302 has a #4 dial or a #6 dial, don't put it in a question, but ask the seller to take a clear photo of the back of the dial and send it to you via e-mail.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Exactly, that's a tactic I've used for some time now. Generally, a question of that nature doesn't get posted either. Being that it's not much help to others.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster
One thing that might help is not ask questions, but ask for extra photos to be e-mailed to you.  For example, if you want to know if that 302 has a #4 dial or a #6 dial, don't put it in a question, but ask the seller to take a clear photo of the back of the dial and send it to you via e-mail.

Good thinking Bing, I just wonder what would prevent the seller from also posting the extra pictures on Ebay?