No Cracks or Chips!

Started by paul, August 29, 2012, 02:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

DavePEI

I emailed the seller to point out the damage, and his reply was:

"Yes why?

-kingprp"

In other words I should mind my own business!

Paypal has to get some mechanism to weed out these fraudsters!

Ahh, I checked his listing again, and he has changed the description to:
"Has crack as seen in the photo, bottom corner." More than just a crack!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

Perhaps this explains the reasoning of the ebay seller who sold me a plaskon Hammond clock with a listing which also stated that there were no cracks or breaks.  The clock was cracked and missing a couple of large chunks on the side which was not included in the listing pictures.  I had to open a case with ebay to get a full refund.

Perhaps what these sellers mean is "I don't want you to know that there are cracks and chips (until after I have your money)".

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on August 29, 2012, 04:16:12 PM
Paypal has to get some mechanism to weed out these fraudsters!

This is where those who sell on Ebay often get upset. Think about it guys - this is the cause of your problems as an Ebay seller - those who aren't honest in their listings. Sure he ended up correcting his listing, but not until he was caught up on it. Ebay had to have a mechanism to weed out these  "iffy" sellers in order to protect its honest sellers. In my experience, by far the vast majority of Ebay sellers are honest, and if they make a mistake in their listings are very happy to correct them. Then along comes one like this, and it undoes all the goodwill given by the honest ones.

I feel sorry for a new Ebay buyer who doesn't know he has to watch listings like this carefully. One or two bad experiences can and does cost those who are honest buyers.

I have dealt with Ebay for over 12 years, always as a buyer, and never as a seller. You good guys out there -  don't take offense at complaints - they can be used constructively. If sellers would police themselves, Ebay wouldn't step in with regulations which will hurt all sellers, honest or not. Sometimes I wonder about Ebays thinking with some of the policies they have come up with. One bad apple destroys the whole basket.

As Ebay customers or honest sellers whenever we see something like this, we should complain to the seller, and make them realize they aren't going to get away with it. We got this listing corrected, and perhaps it got me placed on this vendor's blocked bidder list, but it was the right thing to do.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Clearly it wasn't a crack OR a chip. It was a crack AND a chip.

Now that we have cleared that up....

Terry

paul

I've sort of found the reason for this, they have another 302, http://www.ebay.com/itm/110940378259 in much better condition that it simply appears they did a quick cut and paste for. They're running over 3500 listings at the moment, for all sorts of things.

It is true you have to watch what you send to sellers on eBay these days, it can lead to anything from nastygrams back at you, to blocked biddings, to even getting you reported to eBay for "interference".

McHeath

Crack?  Chip?  Where?

That's not a crack or chip!  Geesh, you phone collectors can be so picky!  ;)

teka-bb

It does say 'Normal wear for it age.'...   
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Doug Rose

Mr. Golden is not shy with his prices!! Guess there is an extra charge for all that rust on the inside on the base.  >:(  Is the subset included??

I really think the original phone was a mistake by the seller. He has a few things listed. He did correct the listing. I actually made a mistake once in listing on eBay. ??? The crack is right in the front, being a seller, I would give him the benefit of the doubt....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 31, 2012, 10:04:07 PM
He did correct the listing. I actually made a mistake once in listing on eBay. ??? The crack is right in the front, being a seller, I would give him the benefit of the doubt....Doug
And then lied to me and said the original listing always was correct. Only I had a screen capture of the page. He did not have another 302 listed at the same time he could have confused photos with.

Pure and simple, he was trying to get away with it. Don't defend the guys who don't deserve it Doug... These are the guys who give all sellers a bad name.

Dave

C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Dave ...I can't keep straight the few auctions I have a week, this guy has 302 going at the same time!! 302 auctions going at the same time and the auction in distress was a 302. Synchronicity!!

"These are the guys who give all sellers a bad name."

If you think he gives me a bad name as a seller on eBay, I am disappointed in your conclusion. It is not remotely fair.

I disagree with your assessment that he was trying to get away with it. It was fairly obvious by the pictures that the 302 was for parts only. What could he get away with? Do you know the world of sh*t he would be in with eBay/Paypal and the time and effort to straighten it out would not be worth it. It would end up costing him money as well. As you stated earlier, you have never sold on eBay. It is not as easy as it appears. I am not defending him, don't know him, don't really care.

Sellers on eBay are not a big Fraternity that can possibly police each other, although I would like the badge.  ;D

I can barely keep up with what I have on any current week. I have trouble enough policing myself. Just my opinion, but I have been selling for over 12 years on eBay. 99% of the transactions are great. But as with ALL the bad sellers, there are a couple of bad buyers out there as well....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 01, 2012, 07:32:26 AM
I disagree with your assessment that he was trying to get away with it. It was fairly obvious by the pictures that the 302 was for parts only. What could he get away with? Do you know the world of sh*t he would be in with eBay and the time and effort to straighten it out would not be remotely worth it. It would end up costing him money as well. As you stated earlier, you have never sold on eBay. It is not as easy as it appears. I am not defending him, don't know him, don't really care.
You are missing the fact his auction claimed no scratches and no chips on the phone until I complained. Then he tried to say it already said it already said it has a crack in it. It did not - I have the screen capture to prove it.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Quote from: DavePEI on September 01, 2012, 07:36:27 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on September 01, 2012, 07:32:26 AM
I disagree with your assessment that he was trying to get away with it. It was fairly obvious by the pictures that the 302 was for parts only. What could he get away with? Do you know the world of sh*t he would be in with eBay and the time and effort to straighten it out would not be remotely worth it. It would end up costing him money as well. As you stated earlier, you have never sold on eBay. It is not as easy as it appears. I am not defending him, don't know him, don't really care.
You are missing the fact his auction claimed no scratches and no chips on the phone until I complained. Then he tried to say it already said it already said it has a crack in it. It did not - I have the screen capture to prove it.

Dave
He had 302 auctions going. He made a mistake and once he realized it was not the OTHER 302 he had going at the same time, he changed his description. I boiler plate auctions all the time. Have I made a mistake, you bet!

Frankly, I'd be much more upset with the $145 302 that was pictured in this post by John M. Seller has one of the Foremost collections of telephones in the world and doesn't mention that the base of the phone is totally rusted on the inside. No picture of the bottom, think its rusty? Bad seller? Well bad pictures, anyway. HE should know better, he collects telephones. To me, this auction is deceptive.
Kidphone