News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Where to hook modular line to LPB-86-55 ***It's working!!***

Started by Isobel23, September 06, 2016, 11:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isobel23

I have a previous post asking how to get it open with pics of payphone.
Got the key off eBay and opened it up, and this is what I see. I don't need it to ring right now, just would like to make calls. How difficult do you think this will be?
It makes the appropriate gong/2bells/1bell for each coin, and goes straight to where coin box would be (but no box.)
Dials beautifully and all looks pretty good from what little I know.

Guess the question I need is where will I be hooking the modular line to? I have looked up some diagrams, but doesn't indicate what color of modular goes to which spots (L1..etc)

dsk

It is really a beautiful phone, and it looks original, and in good state!

The wiring terminals from top: L1,   gnd,  L2  Connect your line to L1 and L2.

The relay (2 big coils etc under the transparent plastic cover) is polarity sensitive, so you have to try to switch the 2 wires if the transmitter does not work.

When this type was in service the polarity changed when the other end answered, and you "lost" the transmitter until you had put on e.g. a quarter.  When the call ended , the polarity changed, and you could start on...

The simplest way to emulate this is a manual switch on the wire just changing the 2 wires.

dsk

Isobel23

I found a reference on here and said .. hook red to L1, yellow or ground to G and green to L2. The modular cord I'm using has only red and green. So I did red to L1 and green to L2.
Will I have to have a cord with all 3 colors? I hear static and buzzing, but no dial tone. Guessing since it's a payphone it has to have a ground?
Or is this where I must try to switch the 2 wires on the relay?

rdelius

drop in coin , you might get dial tone make sure contacts between housings are clean and make contact

dsk

Use the one as you have,  forget the yellow.
Try to call e.g. your cell-phone, but have a quarter ready. 
If you can not talk both ways, drop the coin, and it should work.

If you switch red and green it will probably work different, test out, and use it as you like best.  You may need to drop a coin after answering incoming calls too. 

You have to test it.

I have a newer one, but in worse condition, and have not been able to make the relay work properly, but I may use it as a phone.

dsk

dsk

I cheated, so I did put in a simple circuit for opening the transmitter circuit after the coin has been placed.

http://tinyurl.com/zy2d6rz

It works on my PAP2T telephone adapter together with a dialgizmo.

dsk

Isobel23

Thankful for your suggestions. Im hoping to get enough free time this afternoon to take another look at it and try the things you've suggested. Have the phone company man coming today to fix a bad jack in the kitchen (where I hope to put the payphone) maybe I'll have him take a quick peek at it too.

Looks like a good trick you got on yours.. I would not trust my skills to even attempt it lol..Rather keep her as is since she's so put together, than mess anything up!

dsk

Seems like your phone is in top condition, so no need for doing that. I do agree in keeping this beauty as it is.
I may of course not say anything about your skills at this stage, but they will come.  Working as a teacher for students from 19-25 I have an impression of girls to be a little to modest about their skills, so a big deal of my job is to teach them the same as Bob the builder and one other well known person said. "YES WE CAN"   So yes you can, we just have to work a little on it...   ;)

dsk

Isobel23

Okay, so when I hooked red to L1 and green to L2 and put upper housing back on, I'm still not getting a dial tone. Added coins at different times, but what's odd is when I dial..as the dial comes back I hear a faint dial tone..so when I dial, say 9, I only hear the dial tone as IT comes BACK? Hmmm..

poplar1

If you take another phone (on the same line) off the hook, do you now hear dial tone on the pay phone?
If so, there may be lack of continuity from the backplate of the phone, through the transfer contacts, to the upper housing, and to the dial pulsing contacts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Isobel23

So, so happy..I put the green to L1 and red to L2 this time, put upper housing back on and locked it (didn't lock it the last time) and now I have a dial tone. Made a call and called my number and all works good with no static and didn't even have to insert a coin when I made my call to my Dad..we talked several minutes and it never muted! I'd share a video but don't know if that's possible on here? Thanks for the help guys, couldn't have done it without y'all!
A few of you helped (thanks a million,) but wondering if poplar1 is my good luck charm?! Think when I was working on my parlor/coquette phone and couldn't get it to ring, you chimed in and then it worked lol!! One happy girl here! This forum and ALL of you rock!! Thanks sooo much  <3