News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 10 Button Business Sets

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, June 04, 2015, 11:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I wanted to share (for the 3rd time now! ;) ) this interesting WE 1515B that I just installed a genuine 10-button TT pad in. This phone includes a line selection turnkey and exclusion plunger, so this makes it fairly unusual. I also have a beige 1565, but it still needs a lot of work.
So, what interesting ten-button two-lines, multilines, Call Directors, Autovons, card dialers, other reference info, etc do you guys have? I know there are some interesting ones that others have posted before years ago, but I don't think many would mind seeing them again! :)

I've tried making sticky-style topics in the past, but none of them were very popular. Hopefully this one is better!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, I got 2 more 1565s, both converted to 12-button. They appear to both have hardwire-style black housings, even though one of them was converted to modular with a modular handset.

At least one of them will be easy to convert back to ten button use. The other one will need a new dial or older 12-button buttons. I have the correct cord and handset for it already.

Not bad for $49!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331573205312
Christian Petterson

Dave F

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 04, 2015, 11:34:41 PM
<snip>... So, what interesting ten-button two-lines, multilines, Call Directors, Autovons, card dialers, other reference info, etc do you guys have?
There is no such thing as an AUTOVON phone with a 10-button dial, as they all have 16!

Here are my keysets with 10-button dials:

Dave F

A couple more 10-button multi-line sets:

WEBellSystemChristian

Dave;

Those are some nice phones!!! I've seen those 1565s of yours recently, I want 'em all! ;D

Are the two-lines in the 2nd post ebay pictures? They look really cool, especially the pink! I just realized 1500s were made in pink a day or so ago!
Christian Petterson

podor

I love that yellow 1565, Dave. I've never seen a yellow line cord on a 1a2 set before. I'm suprised to see the red line cord too. All of the TT WE 1a2 phones I've seen have the gray cords.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: podor on June 10, 2015, 09:25:17 PM
I love that yellow 1565, Dave. I've never seen a yellow line cord on a 1a2 set before. I'm suprised to see the red line cord too. All of the TT WE 1a2 phones I've seen have the gray cords.
The later cords were silver, to match the silver modular line cords at the time; sort of a neutral color to go with all WE colored phones. All of those colors are extremely rare, as they're the only of their kind I've ever seen!

I'm almost finished up with that beige 1565; does anyone know what accessories would have been optional at the time for one of these (yet still functional on an otherwise standard 1A2 line)? It will be attached to a practically NOS 760A speaker I have.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 11, 2015, 12:02:00 AM
beige 1565; does anyone know what accessories would have been optional at the time for one of these (yet still functional on an otherwise standard 1A2 line)? It will be attached to a practically NOS 760A speaker I have.

I know that the speaker should work, as there should be an extra pair of leads in the amphenol connector. That is one of the perks of a 565 if it has its original cord.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

I plan on using a KSU for my '__65' lineup. I'm also going to replace the current silver line cord with another style 25-pair cable; the replacement is beige, although it was built by a later company. I think it'll look better than the current cord, and I can use the silver cord universally on almost any other multiline.
Christian Petterson

Dave F

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 10, 2015, 06:51:22 PM
<snip>... Are the two-lines in the 2nd post ebay pictures?
They are old eBay pictures from auctions I won.  Haven't had time to clean up those sets and take some decent pictures.

The cord on the gray 1565 is also color-matched, not sliver satin as seen on most later phones.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 11, 2015, 12:02:00 AM
<snip>... I'm almost finished up with that beige 1565; does anyone know what accessories would have been optional at the time for one of these (yet still functional on an otherwise standard 1A2 line)? It will be attached to a practically NOS 760A speaker I have.

A 760 speaker would have been used with a type 3 Speakerphone.  To make that operational you would also need a 666B transmitter and a 55B control unit.  That setup would be exactly what would have been used on a 1565 phone.  If you just want a speaker, you should go with a 107A Spokesman amplifier.  These are available in beige often on eBay and don't cost much.

DF

Dave F

Here's another one of mine:  1515B in green.

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, Dave, you have more far more color variation in 1515s alone than I have in all of my 1500s! I Didn't know so many of that model even existed!
Christian Petterson

Dave F

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 11, 2015, 02:34:54 PM
Wow, Dave, you have more far more color variation in 1515s alone than I have in all of my 1500s! I Didn't know so many of that model even existed!
The pink and turquoise sets are not 1515s.  Pink is 1511 and turquoise is 1510.  However, I believe that all the "special" 15xx variations were available in all the colors of that time.  They just didn't make too many, so we don't see very many today.

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dave F on June 11, 2015, 02:53:51 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 11, 2015, 02:34:54 PM
The pink and turquoise sets are not 1515s.  Pink is 1511 and turquoise is 1510.  However, I believe that all the "special" 15xx variations were available in all the colors of that time.  They just didn't make too many, so we don't see very many today.

DF
I know all colors were available from the start, but it's just that so few existed from the start that it's probably next to nonexistent today. My 1565 and 1515 are cool looking, but the plastics on both aren't original.

BTW, does anybody have any idea why my 1565's HS cord strain relief 'slot' on the base is about an inch farther foreward than the housing notch? I can't even attach the HS cord to the slot; I have to use a coil in the cord as a strain relief.
Christian Petterson

paul-f

Here are two favorites. 

1671 Call A Matic

1623 Call Director removed from the first 1ESS installation in Succasunna NJ.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line