News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE soft center dial card retainer doo-dad - how to reassemble?

Started by Greg G., April 05, 2011, 05:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I can't figure out how this thing stays in.  I'm guessing that it's supposed to be placed in a certain position then rotated into a slot or groove that will hold it in place, but danged if I can figure out how to do that.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

There are three little slots where those little knobs sit into and you rotate it..... That is not much help but that is the only way I know how explain it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Briny, look at my reply #18 on this post:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4559.0

I show how to put in the clip.  It's just like you said. 

Greg G.

It doesn't exactly sit centered, that's what was throwing me.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

The way you have the fingerwheel pictured, I line up one of the "ears" of the retainer to the first hole after the area where there are no holes. I guess it's the hole for the "1" digit if you turn it over. It's at the 10:00 position in your picture.

The retainer usually drops right down into its designated area and then I rotate it counter-clockwise until it stops, making sure all three "ears" are in the groove. Sometimes you have bent "ears" in the retainer if someone's pried out the old card from the front. They should all be sitting at 90-degree angles and you can easily bend them with needle-nose pliers.

As for a fingerwheel removal tool, in your other thread, I once used a hatpin and a large-headed pin. You could find those at a craft store, I'm sure. They're easier on the fingers than a straight pin. Sometimes they're called corsage pins.
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on April 06, 2011, 08:54:40 AM
The way you have the fingerwheel pictured, I line up one of the "ears" of the retainer to the first hole after the area where there are no holes. I guess it's the hole for the "1" digit if you turn it over. It's at the 10:00 position in your picture.

The retainer usually drops right down into its designated area and then I rotate it counter-clockwise until it stops, making sure all three "ears" are in the groove. Sometimes you have bent "ears" in the retainer if someone's pried out the old card from the front. They should all be sitting at 90-degree angles and you can easily bend them with needle-nose pliers.

As for a fingerwheel removal tool, in your other thread, I once used a hatpin and a large-headed pin. You could find those at a craft store, I'm sure. They're easier on the fingers than a straight pin. Sometimes they're called corsage pins.

Thanks, that worked!  That's what I was looking for, exactly how it's positioned and which way it rotates.  But because I had it wedged in there tight cock-eyed, I cracked the darn finger wheel trying to get it out!  It had a crack in it already, I just finished the job.  Krazy Glued it for now, but I think I'll look for a supply of soft-centered WE finger wheels.
- Mike Row
e