News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone Help

Started by Doug Rose, September 24, 2016, 10:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan got this WE payphone at Brimfield a few weeks ago. It didn't have the keys, but the seller did send them to her!!. She has more trust than I would have had.

I got it opened this morning, very clean inside, BUT no L1 or L2 so I need your help! Where do I connect dial tone to??

Red and green have multiple wires on them, so I want to be sure.

All I see is 193 coin collector, what do I have here?? ....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

You need a subset or wire to a network

Ktownphoneco

I'd go with "rdelius' " suggestion, and add the subset ( 684 should be the correct one for it, I think" ), and assuming that the coin chute mechanism is present inside the upper housing, I would add one of Stan S's payphone controllers.    That set's worth it in my opinion.

Nice acquisition. 

Jeff Lamb

Doug Rose

this is not a keeper and I am trying to get DT for sale....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

193 did not originally have a coin release button or a subset, rather, just an extension ringer such as 531A. The 101A or 101B induction coil and the 195C condenser were mounted inside the phone, at the top of the backplate.

Some 193s were modernized with later upper housings (like this one with a coin release) and also rewired so that a 685A subset would be required.

Your phone also has an Automatic Electric vault door  and (I think) an Automatic Electric semi-postpay relay.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stan S

Doug
What you've got is a pile of parts screwed together.
Below are pictures of a Western Electric 193.
The 193 was a POSTPAY 3-slot.
Totally unique in the way it operated.

Stan S.

Doug Rose

"What you've got is a pile of parts screwed together"

Gee Stan....don't sugar coat it, tell me exactly how you feel.

I am a payphone novice and the picture of the inside of mine looks like yours...to a novice. Is mine an anchor? Could you be a bit more specific about the "What you've got is a pile of parts screwed together." comment....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

This way is a bit easier to compare the two.

Doug Rose

Kidphone