News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is a black WE princess with rotary dial rare?

Started by markosjal, April 06, 2021, 05:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Is a black WE princess with rotary dial rare? I found one locally and realized that i had never seen one in black
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

HarrySmith

I don't know about rare but Black was not as popular as the other colors as these were usually a bedroom phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Black is quite uncommon.  I bought one one ebay a few years ago.  I have probably only seen about two others for sale.

Larry

Key2871

Well back when I collected princess phones, black was the one color that was hardest for me to find. In any type dial.
So yes hard to find but rare.. I don't think I would use that word to describe them.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Black Princess phones are scarce.
Colors other than black were an  options and you paid a little more for a color option.

Princess and Trimline phones were premium sets.
Color was an included option so black was a seldom chosen on these sets.
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Black was added to the Princess color list in 1963, and it quickly became a "non-promoted" color. Relatively few were ordered, but IMHO they are not especially rare. Scarce or uncommon both work.

http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#Princess

We have recorded sightings to 1978 (scroll down after using this link).

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg190732#msg190732

Black (-3) 12-62  8-63 (702B) - 2-68 (702B)                                                     11-78 (702BM)

Russ Cowell wrote a nice article about the connection between the black 702 and Jackie Kennedy -- in the TCI December 2012 Singing Wires.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Key2871

Agreed Paul, in my years of collecting I have seen many, but scarce is a good word. I had a touch tone and for ever was looking for a rotary but they were always too expensive for me. So I didn't procure one.
And they do come up in eBay is say about every six months or maybe a little less often. But usually expensive as usual.
I was able to afford other non common colors in the new series slate blue ( is what I was told it is) mint green peach etc. Those were starting to get hard to find and expensive as well. Those I hardly see anymore.
KEN