News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

UE9AE Line Relay, UR9AT Lock Out Relay UR9AR Cut Off Relay- Seeeking Information

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, January 28, 2023, 11:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill Haven Telephone Company

I picked up these relays from Madhouse a couple years back,  getting ready to incorporate them into my switch

Looking ofr info on these numbers

UE9AE Line
UR9AT Lockout
UR9AR Cut Off

Thanks. 

leejor

They look to be from, perhaps a common battery, manual switchboard system (a guess). SXS only used a line and cutoff. Were you given any info on their previous use?

G-Man

Quote from: leejor on February 01, 2023, 10:32:55 PMThey look to be from, perhaps a common battery, manual switchboard system (a guess). SXS only used a line and cutoff. Were you given any info on their previous use?
Typically x-number of lines in a step CDO also had line lockout relays to free up switching equipment in the advent of faulty line. It's been awhile since I counted them but ISTR that about 10-percent of the lines in my office have lockout relays, mostly assigned to linegroups that serve rural customers on party-lines.

Contempra

My "Logic 10" phone has also otherwise so many cut wires and therefore does not work! :(

leejor

The office I worked in, in a major City (automatic Electric equipment), may have had lockout relays located somewhere, but not next to every line and cut-off relay, under the grey rectangular "cans". Many many times we would have to manually lock out a line because it was had been knocked, or simply left off-hook, and was seizing a first selector.
The fact that the relays appears to be rack mounted (and the type of wiring) leads me to believe they are from some sort of manual system.

G-Man

The relays shown in the photo are flat-spring relays which were uniquely manufactured by Western Electric. WECo line/cutoff/lockout relays were mounted on linefinder shelves with the same types of strips.

I also stated that off the top of my head I think that my WECo 355A CDO has about 10-percent of its lines equipped with lockout relays. Well here is what the office specs for a NET&T central office sez about their WECo 355A step switch:

SPECIFICATION FOR NEW
355A STEP-BY-STEP DIAL OFFICE EQUIPMENT
WITH 11'-6" FRAMES
THE SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND TELEPHONE COMPANY
267 OFFICE - EAST HAMPTON, CONNECTICUT
LOCATED AT SOUTH MAIN STREET
Spec. 0184 – Sect. A
GENERAL - SECTION A
1. This specification covers the equipment for a new 355A dial office
employing 11'-6" high frames and arranged for individual line, 2 party selective, 4 party semi-selective and 10 party terminal per station ringing.
     Line Finder Equipment
                   Units
Units - 200 line and 20, 3 wire line finder
capacity, arranged for line lockout on
20% of the lines, for mounting on universal frame
Flat rate
Coin box

Automatic Electric switches also would often employ lockout relays on a percentage of their lines, especially if it served a number of rural lines. Ditto for Stromberg-Carlson XY step offices

Many pbx and c.o. switchboards did not use expensive line relays except on their longest lines (think 555).

And when they did equip them on some of those lines, a cutoff or lockout relay generally would not have been needed since the spring contacts on the switchboard jacks provided that function and if there were a faulty line, the operator would generally insert a dummy plug to (as in their parlance) "plug it out."

G-Man

I should also state that if Hillhaven provides a photo of the SD or J-number that should be on this strip, we might be able to provide him with a schematic and connection data.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on February 02, 2023, 07:22:59 PMsnip- Well here is what the office specs for a NET&T central office sez about their WECo 355A step switch:
I know it is inconsequential but it still bugs me that I gave the wrong acronym for Southern New England Telephone Co. It should have been instead, SNET.