News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Really useful specialty tools

Started by Bartonpipes, January 12, 2015, 02:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartonpipes

Hi everyone, after watching some videos where Adam Savage talks about cool specialty tools, I thought I would share one of my personal favorite specialty tools that I use constantly when working on phones and other projects. I thought maybe we could tell each other about some of the the special tools we use in our work.

The tool is called a Hemostat, basically it is a very fine pair of locking needle nose pliers without teeth. They are used in surgical applications for clamping tubes shut (you get the basic idea). But they have been useful to me for clamping onto spade tips and fishing wires through small openings, as well as holding very small things for wire wheel and buffing work.

My dad introduced me to them, he works repairing milking equipment for dairy farms. He uses them much the way I use them but he also uses them to close off rubber air and water lines.

Here is a picture of a pair. They come in many variations. 
-Andrew

Bartonpipes

I guess I should clarify, specialty tools you use, if any, that aren't specifically mean for what you use them for but the work very well for how you use them.
-Andrew

HarrySmith

I use a nut driver to remove the fingerwheel nuts on WE phones. Basically a socket on a screwdriver handle. The set pictured below is from Harbor Freight, item#69109, and sells for $5.99!
I believe the size for the nuts is 7/16". I used to use a regular wrench which did sometimes remove some paint or pliers which do damage the nut. The nutdriver has never done any damage and easily removes the tightest nuts!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

paul-f

I use dental tools for a lot of cleaning tasks.  I started out with an antique set from a local auction, and found recent additions at hamfests and dollar stores.

There's an amazing variety of shapes for picking or scraping.  We have discussed some in other topics. Some examples...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bartonpipes

Some of those dental tools look like just the thing to dig out the nasty dirt in the grooves on grooved handsets. Probably much better that the tooth picks I use!
-Andrew

HarrySmith

I prefer the toothpicks, I have the dental tools and they scrape more than dirt off. The toothpicks are softer and do not damage the handset. I dip them in alcohol to help clean out the gunk.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Each tool has its use and has the potential to cause damage.  I use toothpicks for some tasks also.  When using dental tools, it's important to apply pressure sparingly to move the gunk without messing up the surface.  I usually use water or other solvent first to soften the gunk.  The dental picks are especially useful for cleaning out the small spaces in the logo letters.  Other shapes with flat ends are good for working on flat surfaces.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenton K

I do like toothpicks myself.

Tools I find very helpful is a dental mirror and a small precision wrench set. Tweezers are also great!

-Ken

Greg G.

For cleaning, I have in my tool kit retired toothbrushes, both electric and manual.  For the electric, it works better if it's NOT the sonic variety.  I've found them most useful for cleaning off the manufacturer logo embossed on housings.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Something everyone should have is a cheap collapsible magnetic pickup for retrieving parts from difficult places...

When you are working on a phone unfamiliar to you, high resolution photos of the interior can help you remember how it was wired before you started.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on January 13, 2015, 07:30:45 PM
Something everyone should have is a cheap collapsible magnetic pickup for retrieving parts from difficult places...
Do you have a tool to find parts in difficult places? :)

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 13, 2015, 07:39:41 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on January 13, 2015, 07:30:45 PM
Do you have a tool to find parts in difficult places? :)

Ben
Such as?

The borescope is one helpful item. It is a very tiny TV camera on a flexible shaft with LEDS lighting the scene. It can be used to view a part which has fallen into a difficult spot. Mine will fit in any hole larger than 7 mm.

The camera plugs in to a USB port on your computer.

It has mirrors that fit on the camera to view items at right angles to the camera lens. The other two items in the upper right hand side of the photo are a magnetic pickup and a retrieval hook which can be attached to the camera and used to retrieve small objects.

You don't necessarily get great focus all of the time, but it is good enough to locate errant objects as shown in the lower photo, locating a dropped screw. This screw had fallen into an inaccessable spot in a wooden subset. If I had pulled the camera a bit back from the screw, you would have seen the details better.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bartonpipes

A Dremel tool can be a really great thing, not quite a specialty tool though.

I personally use the buffing pads on the Dremel tool quite a lot for polishing screws, fingerstops, bells, etc. About the only other attachment I use on those are the wire wheels, they work great but they seem to wear out pretty fast.
-Andrew