News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GE "Combination" Refrigerator-Freezer from 1957

Started by rp2813, June 17, 2010, 01:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I picked this fridge up for free recently.  It's newer than what I was looking for, but it's got more glitz and glamour than I ever expected. 

Here's a shot of it "before" I got started on a thorough cleaning inside, outside, and underneath.
Ralph

rp2813

Here she is on my patio waiting for her makeover.
Ralph

rp2813

Gaskets on fresh food and freezer doors were torn.  I cleaned them, removed them, and then rotated them before re-installing.  The torn sections are now hidden on the hinged side down low on both doors and make good enough contact with the cabinet to provide a good seal.  I'm on the lookout for OEM gaskets but these will do the job in the meantime.

Here's a before & after of the fresh food cabinet's door gasket.
Ralph

rp2813

She cleaned up really nice, and the adjustable revolving shelves work smoothly.  The light in the freezer is rare.  It was eliminated the following model year.  In the fresh food section alone there are three 40-watt bulbs.
Ralph

rp2813

I used all-in-one car cleaner and wax on the exterior.  In this shot I hadn't yet used the white touch-up on the scratches or installed the front grille.  That long flat metal piece across the front is a pedal for hands-free opening of the fresh food section's door.
Ralph

rp2813

Before & after close-ups of the brightwork.
Ralph

rp2813

Tucked snugly into her new home, she fits perfectly.  She's shorter (only 61") and not as deep (24") as the '70 Whirlpool she replaced and has a much better scale for the small laundry room space she shares with washer and dryer.  She runs very quietly too. 

The revolving shelves are convenient but they don't maximize use of all cabinet space.  Nobody ever said function follows form or that glitz and glamour were practical attributes.

This is a party/beer fridge and for some of my visitors it will be something of a conversation piece.  I don't need it to be efficient with the use of interior space.  I didn't want revolving shelves at first, but since I don't like stooping and reaching for things in fridges with top-mount freezers, the revolving shelves make total sense and I became an instant fan.  Take a look for yourself at what convenience was all about back in 1957!

I'm hoping for many more years of service out of her.  Hopefully she's just getting broken in at 53 years in operation!
Ralph

rp2813

Product literature with details on all features.
Ralph

Greg G.

Nice work!  I like those kind of vintage artifact finds - FREE!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

That's a fine piece of machinery you got there.
- Tom

McHeath

Love the pink interior, seems that was the standard inside color according to the flyer.  Also like the foot pedal that opens the door, does that still work?  Now why don't they do that on iceboxes today? 

Dan/Panther

Ralph;
You did  a great job on the Box. looks nice, almost like new. Makes me want one..
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

Yeah, I wonder what one of these would look like with pink interior and that green shade for the exterior.  

The next model year they went to aqua interior.  Here's a shot of a '58.  The foot pedal and the light in the freezer were eliminated.

Thanks for the positive feedback.  Yes, the foot pedal still works.  This machine should use less energy than the 1970 hog it replaced.  This one isn't frost free, except in the refrigerator section.  The freezer needs to be defrosted manually but it's a fairly easy job using the drain in the bottom and putting a pan in the top rack of the fresh food section to catch the water.  I don't access the freezer on this one a whole lot so it should go for a while without the need for defrosting.
Ralph

Greg G.

Quote from: rp2813 on June 17, 2010, 01:36:24 PM
Yeah, I wonder what one of these would look like with pink interior and that green shade for the exterior.  

Psychedelic!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"